Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

USA F1 Grand Pricks

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: USA F1 Grand Pricks Reply with quote

What a farce. Anyone agree they could have raced with less downforce using the tyres they had? High downforce on the banked track was blamed for the tyre problem.

Cars would maybe have been slower, more driver skill required, and they would not have practiced with the new setup, but, hey, these guys are supposed to be good.

They could alternatively have fitted the new tyres flown in and all taken the same penalty. Better than cars sitting in the pits and no points.

Now presumably we'll be bored by weeks of recriminations, blaming, and maybe court actions.

I think I've had enough of watching millionaires steering around in cars which are almost driving themselves. Gets more and more like Scalextric.

I'll think twice about buying Michelin next time I need tyres, too. How irresponsible to make a hasty announcement which they could not then reconsider.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
GaryUK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate F1 needs another Senna type death now doesn't it. Michelin acted responsibly as there had been no opportunity for testing at Indy and during qualifying/practice it was discovered that the tyres were maybe unsafe. The teams had asked the FIA for a chicane to lower speeds on the main straight/banking (which the Bridgestone runners/teams were happy with) but they declined. This is an FIA problem not a Michelin or team problem.

Had it gone ahead (the race) and someone was killed I expect you would be on here complaining about Michelin being irresponsible. Just coz someone is paid in the millions it doesn't mean that their lives are expendable.
[/i]
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved topic here because it was off-topic in Maintenance & Repairs part of forum.
If they have raced with less downforce, I suspect that first of Michelin would be some 4-6 laps behind, because of slower driving and there would be crashes for sure.

GaryUK, Senna remark was first thing that came to my mind. Crying or Very sad
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

I dont want to see deaths on F1, but even so i believe that they should race. Confused .
They are suposed to be great drivers, and are paid like that, but when the situation is not favorable, they excuse themselfs with safety precautions.
If they raced with less donwforce, they wouldnt be racing for victory, but they would race for points. I´m not just blaming the drivers, i´m blaming the drivers and the teams.
Quote:
They could alternatively have fitted the new tyres flown in and all taken the same penalty. Better than cars sitting in the pits and no points.

This was the most viable option.
At least, my second favorite driver, got 3rd place (He is Portuguese).

all the best
P.Camilo
GaryUK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that they should have raced with totally untested tryes mmmmmm thats a good idea.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no but there was other way to minimize the tire wear - lower the downforce thous be slower but also safer. Do you see Bridgestone complaining about their tires? They are slower becauso of them but no one is crying at the pits.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to all the data Michelin collected at this track in previous years? And I thought this years cars were supposed to have less downforce under the latest rules!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was partially caused by a new track surface so all the old data was of only so much use. The solution should simply have been to put in the chicane and start all the michelin runners from the pitlane.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the obvious solution is to drive slower, if they can't stand to lose it's their problem. I bet that let's say mclaren would be faster than minardi despite the michelin tires.

Very unsportish behaviour from michelin teams. Rolling Eyes
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Watch WRC if you wanna see real driving!!

Jez Twisted Evil
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rallyboy77 wrote:
Guys,

Watch WRC if you wanna see real driving!!

Jez Twisted Evil

true, true...You will see also sone serius boxer power
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum