Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

multi point spark plugs for alfa 33 8valve

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: multi point spark plugs for alfa 33 8valve Reply with quote

I am about to purchase new HT components for my alfa33 8valve. whats the deal on these multi electrode sparkplugs ? will ythey be any better for my car.

my brother has a nova and just had it re-tuned and they replaced plugs with single point plugs as the old multi point plugs were reckoned not to be effective for his car.

so i just wanted to know if to get highest quality plugs (multi electrode) and leads for my alfa in a bid to give it best chance of ecomony and performance not wasting on unexploded petrol vapor and electrical losses etc.

what the gap distance reccomended for plugs.

great stuff.,
Jonathan
zp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: re : plugs Reply with quote

hi

use only Golden Lodge 25HL, as you would seriously DAMAGE your engine using anything else...unless you really know what you're doing. a friend of mine had the bad idea of fitting Champion plugs (and he checked that he had the proper part number at the champion dealer) and wonder what? the day after, his engine was running roughly, there was quite a hole in one of the pistons...
so use only the 4-electrode lodge that was factory-fitted. and by the way, the gap is not adjustable (and there is no requirement for the gap) : you buy the plug and fit it.
note : for 16V 33s, do not use lodge plugs but NGK ones.

regards
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for your invaluable advice on the sparkplugs.
I wouldnt have thaught that the spark plugs could potentially be damaging the engine had i fitted the wrong kind. So Golden Lodge 25HL it is then Laughing

would you further advise the use of oil additive and use of red-x petrol additives. I was reading on the red-x additive one can also put it direct into the sparkplug (remove replace) start the engine, turn off. remove sparkplugs and re-clean. or then replace with the brand new spark plugs.

jonathan
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think Redex is mainly for use with old badly chocked up engines. I would not bother to use it normally. I would not bother with any other petrol or oil additive at all.

I know a few people use normal plugs in the 33 and get away with it. I also know someone who burnt a hole in a piston on an Alfa 75 which was blamed on using Champion plugs rather than the Golden Lodge ones. Suspect that it only really makes a difference if the ignition timing is marginally out

All the best

Keith
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

half a year ago I replaced the Lodges 25HL with NGK 4 single electrode plugs and everything is running ok. I didn't notice any improvement / deterioration in the performance. What I learned once (maybe even at this forum) that you shouldn't use Champion plugs indeed, because they have a wrong heat degree, i.e. they are too "hot" / too "cold".

Marcin
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The heat range of a spark plug is one of the markings on them. All the makers make plugs of various heat ranges. For example the Golden Lodge HL, 2HL and 25HL are just different heat ranges of the same size plug. With NGK plugs the number is the heat range, with the higher the number being a colder plug for a hotter running engine.

Spark plugs work best over a narrow temperature range. The more insulation around the central electrode means that they take less heat from the combustion chamber and so run marginally hotter. If they are too hot then they will start to blister and you may land up with the outer electrode overheating and dropping off, and maybe burn a hole in a piston. Too cold and they will foul up.

For and example of NGK plugs a 10 heat range tends to be used on high revving engines needing to disappate a fair bit of heat (such as an Aprilia RS125 motorcycle). The hotter plugs (which disappate less heat) are used on engines where less heat needs to be got rid of.

If you have a problem with an engine fouling its plugs round town then try a hotter plug, but you then might find that when used at speed it might burn a hole in a piston

All the best

Keith
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Spark plugs Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been using now for years (and some 80000 km) Bosh multi electrode spark plugs on my 92 1.5 IE with success. I mean no problem and perf equal to the Lodge ones.
The references could be found in the standard Bosh spark plugs catalog.
Carlos
Peter (DK)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Spark plugs Reply with quote

I have used NGK B7ES on my boxer Alfa's for 20 years, having no problem, also on highly tuned engines.

The Golden Lodge is dreadfull. Bad start in the morning and hickups at low rews. Sometimes you even get one, that do not work at all.

Most other cars use NGK BP5ES which is a hotter spark, and that will ruin your boxer.

Peter (DK)
Anders (DK)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these NGK B7ES work on my 1.7 twin carb from ´88 Question
Toad
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they would.
Suitable for all 8v boxer's

Toad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: