Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

brake pads

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: brake pads Reply with quote

Hi,

What are your experiences with different brands and type's of brake pads/discs ??

I drive with OMP Racing discs and OMP (971) Racing pads fitted on my 33 16v...
And soon I replace the pads for Ferodo DS-3000 pads..

The OMP setup is good.. no fading or overheating on the track..
Hope that the Ferodo's do even better... ( they should as thay have a 0,62 coefficient of friction and the OMP's around 0.42 )

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lon,

Whats the braking like, with the OMP setup, when driving on the road? (normally Very Happy ) does it brake well from cold?

All the Best

Sérgio
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When cold it brake's like you have a not so very new original brake setup Sad ... (pretty bad but not too bad).

I think that with the DS-3000 it will be worse than with the OMP's ( as the OMP's are between hard use and track use in... and the DS-3000's are track use only Laughing )

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DS3000 on the front of my sud (mainly for racing) and I think they're great. The DS3000 are o.k. (maybe not great, but certainly o.k.) from cold too. The WRC guys use DS3000 - imagine Rally Monte Carlo or Sweden with brake pads that didn't work from cold!

One thing with the DS3000, I found the wear rate quite high on the track. Alfasud brake pads are very small and I'm told the wear rate is better if you can run vented rotors and duct some cold air to them.

When some race pads say they are for "race use only" it's often just a disclaimer to prevent any claims against the supplier. In many countries it's not legal to use non type approved pads on the road. Some race pads have high wear rates when used on the road. They are optimised for track use and wear rate for road use is not a design consideration, so if you use race pads on the road, check the pads often.

Regards, Lex
1982 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Here an update on the use of the DS-3000 for road use..

The wear is very low, after 3000kms the thinkness is almost as when new.
The thikness of my discs is not noticable decreased so that looks good too.

And when it comes to braking... Shocked
No real brake distance tests done yet.. but the 100km/h to 0 is better as with the OMP pads fitted... ( less than 40 meters )

Does anyone here have brake distance reports for the 33 ????

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run Ferodo DS2000 on the 'Sud for track use, which I found excellent for the level of punishment I gave them (not too much really). I was told at the time by another club member not to run them on the road however as they are too hard and can score the discs when cold - does this sound right? I used to swap them for cheapy soft pads at the end of the day.
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was told at the time by another club member not to run them on the road however as they are too hard and can score the discs when cold - does this sound right? I used to swap them for cheapy soft pads at the end of the day

This is most likely also depending on the disc's you have mounted.... I use vented OMP Racing discs (22mm, grooved and bored) together with the DS-3000 pads it is mostlikly a good combination when it comes to braking hard even when cold..

Though when warm/hot the braking gets even better, so much that my front wheels often block, rear wheels do not block at that time so it gives a very nice cornering setup... I only need to lift my foot from the brake and give full throttle... and that was the corner... Laughing leaving some people starring Shocked behind me as they can't believe what they just saw..

I still need to test the DS-3000 OMP combination on the track, but when I have done that I will post an other update here...

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evanbottcher wrote:
I used to run Ferodo DS2000 on the 'Sud for track use, which I found excellent for the level of punishment I gave them (not too much really). I was told at the time by another club member not to run them on the road however as they are too hard and can score the discs when cold - does this sound right? I used to swap them for cheapy soft pads at the end of the day.

The DS2000 are apparantly fine for road use, but they've since been replaced with the 2500 model (which I'm going to fit next month).
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Track testing is done... :D Reply with quote

Finaly after a long time.. I have tested the Ferodo DS-3000 pads with my OMP discs at Zandvoort..

When everything is warm, the braking distance realy is short.
From 180km/h to 90km/h was amazingly short when I compare it to my previous setup ( OMP pads and OMP discs )... instead of start braking at 150 meters from the Tarzan corner I could start braking at 125 or even 100 meters and stil have space left for even later braking poinst.. but i did not test that..
As I needed to drive home with my car i did not test the real braking limits as I did not want to end up crashing or standing still in the gravel..

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds impressive Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: