Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

are 33's with or without TS??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: are 33's with or without TS?? Reply with quote

Are the 33's equipped with the twin spark system because somebody told me that they aren't
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
Since TwinSpark would require 2 spark plugs pr. cylinder - no, it's not equipped with the TwinSpark system. At least not as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong! Smile
Would be neat though. Smile Higher compression, more little horsies. Wink
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the only engine fitted in the 33 apart from the boxer was a diesel...though I have never seen one
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...well guess i lost another bet...funny though, you'd think that sindce the 164 was equipped with a TS then so would the 33..i've always considered the 33 a bit more sporty then the 164. Well...at least we have the boxer Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... there has never been a TS version of the 33.

There has been a prototype of a hybride 33 but that also was not with a TS engine..

The only other engine type in the 33 was the 3 cylinder Turbo Diesel (1.8TD).

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
chris

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: crazy Reply with quote

It worries me that you did not know this Smile

You can always point out that the twin spark is not 100% a sporty thing as it is great for emissions due to the twin sparks resulting in better combustion. It does make more power though!
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the thing is that i had alwyas lived with the impression that since the 164 is TS tehn so should the 33..i really don't know why...and i really never bothered to check for myself since i really don't understand how the twin spark version works and what's it differences with the single spark
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Spark basically means two spark plugs per cylinder. This was featured on the original Tipo 33 of the '60s & '70s, but was never offered on the '80s / '90s hatchback models.

The reason why Alfa never bothered to develop a TS boxer was logical - they were simply moving on with time and trying to make money.

FIAT negotiated their major Alfa share in 1986, and a year later Alfa introduced TS engines in the 75 and 164. Due to the success of these engines, FIAT and Alfa decided to fit them across the entire Alfa range and phase out the boxer engine. This happened during the 145 / 146 (Futura) era.

It still surprises me that the Futura models (based on the Fiat Tipo and Lancia Delta floorpan) were ever fitted with boxer engines.

Phasing-out the boxer simplified Alfa's range dramatically. R&D, tooling, diagnostic programs, spare parts, etc, could be shared across the Alfa (and to some extent FIAT / Lancia) range.

Like people have already mentioned, the only other engine officially offered by Alfa was the VM 1.8 TD (3-cyl - 1779cc). Looking at the performance figures it wasn't such a bad engine either, considering the era.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Granger wrote:
FIAT negotiated their major Alfa share in 1986, and a year later Alfa introduced TS engines in the 75 and 164. Due to the success of these engines, FIAT and Alfa decided to fit them across the entire Alfa range and phase out the boxer engine. This happened during the 145 / 146 (Futura) era.

The TS engine used in the 75, 164 and the early 155 is not related at all to the 16V TS engine used in the 145/6 and the later 155.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum