Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Squadra Chip

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Squadra Chip Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking at chipping my 33 16v and wandering if I'm making the right choice!
I'm thinking of ordering a Squadra chip through Alfaowner.com for £166 inc. VAT!
I've got a 57i induction kit already fitted (mainly to improve the sound of the beast!), but am hoping to gain better/smoother acceleration at lower revs with the chip.
It looks pretty easy to fit, is this correct?
And will I have to use super unleaded (more expensive), from then on! I don't mind paying slightly more if the results from the chip are worth it!
Would apreciate some guidance on this matter!
Many thanks to all who can help!
Regards,
Chris.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Squadra Chip Reply with quote

Hi chris

I have a chip if your interested? if you email me i will tell you all about it. its not a squadra chip plus its not £166 Wink

all the best john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Pilota33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I have a Squadra chip since my 16v is going to be carbed.
Original Squadra, mail me for info, the price is sharp... Smile

Serge

'79 Spider 2000 Veloce
'83 AlfaSud Sprint Veloce 1.5
'83 33 1.5
'87 33 1.7 iE 16v (chipped)
'88 33 1.7 QV (A/C)
'93 33 1.7 iE S 16v Q4 SW Zender (A/C)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lanciachris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: tps Reply with quote

The low rev jerkiness is not something that can be cured by changing the chip in the car - the problem is down to the 33s throttle position sensor - its only got i think 3 points or something like that (no throttle, part throttle, wot), and the fuelling changes shedloads between them hence not very smooth when going round town etc.
Pilota33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree with you, the low rev jerkiness can be cured by the Squadra chip. Did you try it yourself??
I tried it for 2 years and it made the car more driveable, with more torque at lower revs and high torque already at 3000rpm.
The car isn't that nervous anymore

'79 Spider 2000 Veloce
'83 AlfaSud Sprint Veloce 1.5
'83 33 1.5
'87 33 1.7 iE 16v (chipped)
'88 33 1.7 QV (A/C)
'93 33 1.7 iE S 16v Q4 SW Zender (A/C)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I haven't tried the Squadra chip, but I'm defenitely considering it after I have done my 16v conversion! So I would be very glad if you will post a reply here when you have fitted the chip! If you choose it, of course.. Smile Btw, the price here http://www.squadra-tuning.com is lower than one you mentioned. You can find a few reviews on that page too.

Mads
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I did decide to fit my car with a squadra chip in the end! And I did get it direct from squadra tuning! Their service was very good, and as I hoped, the chip was very easy to change!
Did I notice any change!?
Well when I fitted the chip, I did notice quite a difference in acceleration! My second gear goes on for ever, and you're at 60mph before you know it, and the sound of the car is awesome (although I have got a 57i induction kit so that does help!)
Now it is quite hard for me to be precise about how the performance has changed because a couple months later, the car was running like shit!
I got a diagnostics check done on it, and it turned out that the lambda probe was dead! I obviously got a new probe fitted, and the garage set the car up for me at it's optimum!
Since getting the car back, I do think it may have lost a bit of low rev acceleration, (or am I just used to the awesome 16v power now), but generally the car runs well!
I always use bp optimax, and i think fuel consumption on a decent length journey is better!
I would definately recommend getting a chip, as the price is quite low, and the gains are quite noticable!!
Hope this helps you make up your mind!
One thing though, it's easier to pick up speeding tickets, as I found out not long after fitting the chip!! Got caught doing 90 on the M4!! Opps! Suppose I shouldn't really moan, as I recently tested top speed on my car! I was doing 130mph on the nose when I eased off, due to there being too many cars up ahead! I know it could have done more, I guess one day I'll try again!!
Regards,
Chris
Alfa Nutter
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,cris

How much exactly does a squadra chip cost?

People on this site say its cheap,but i thought it was about £175?
Am i wrong?
To me,10-12 bhp increase for this price is a total rip off.
please let me know as i am confused.

thanks
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People on this site say its cheap,but i thought it was about £175?
Am i wrong?
To me,10-12 bhp increase for this price is a total rip off.

I don't know anything about modifying engines, but what other ways could you get 10-12hp for that money? Spend it on a jack, stands and a hacksaw, and cut your exhaust off after the headers? Buy a socket set, hand-held grinder and gasket cement, and have a go at the old port and polish and shave (grind) the head to increase compression? Go out and buy a big can of race fuel? All of the above? Wink
Alfa Nutter
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,look at it like this-

thats approx £17.50 per bhp.I could get a set of plugs for that price that would give me an extra 2-3 bhp.

The car mags recon you can get an extra 8-11 bhp from a panel filter at the cost of about £50.

Not to mention second hand sports manifolds e.t.c they give big increases.

Sports injectors offer better value in terms of bhp per pound

There are means and ways if you are clever about it.

One of the main benifits of owning an Alfa instead of a [for example] a fast VW or Ford is this:

IT REALLY DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO GAIN MORE POWER.
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Nutter wrote:

IT REALLY DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO GAIN MORE POWER.

It may not cost much to make the first power gains, but this is true for almost any car (except for some real sports cars, but would you need to modify them?). The more power you are trying to get by modifiying your car, the higher the costs. Maybe you should see chip tuning as a later step in the tuning of your car, after the simpler (or: cheaper) mods.

Marcin
A,Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marcin,

What you say is right.I am not new to car tuning,but i still think this is a poor bhp gain for the money.

I think that deep down i am a traditionalist and prefer big mechanical modifications.When you look at the feed back from chip changes you sometimes get conflicting reports and opinions,from the users.Where as with mechanical modifications,the feed back is more positive.

Cams,porting,valves heads e.t.c are my prefered choice.

cheers Wink
Rolle
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Nutter wrote:
The car mags recon you can get an extra 8-11 bhp from a panel filter at the cost of about £50.

Yeah right Laughing

Doesn't the chip cost about 200 euro which is like 120£ or something like that?

And I like to see the dynopaper on both filter and chip before I believe it, doesn't cost that much to dyno it before and after as you can change the chip so quick.
GoToInstant-Redline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you all talking about!!!

10bhp from a chip in a 33? you must be joking! you would be lucky if you get 8bhp from just a chip!!!!!! esp an off the shelf one!

160odd quid is a good price for a chip and its about the most bhp you will get for your money. but off the shelf chips just cant offer much in the way of performance and can have an adverse effect if you car doesnt match the spec that the chip was mapped for!

your gonna get roughly..
filter 5bhp
chip 8bhp
exhaust (all of it) 10bhp
cams maybe up to 20bhp if you go for hot ones

you best power is going to come from things like NO2 or standalone ecu with larger injectors and higher fuel presure. maybe force induct the flat 4. but this can cause loads of problems as they really were not meant to take turbo or superchargers and the gaskets let go all too soon Sad.

have any of you had your cars rolling roaded? this is the ONLY way to set your car up correctly. get it to the rollers and they will sort out the fueling, timing etc and you WILL gain power if you engine is in good health. this is the best and only way i would fit a chip to my car and you also come away with a print out of what power you gained from your chip.

changing your plugs might add 2 or 3 bhp to your engine power, but thats only 2 or 3 bhp you lost to the old plugs being shot.. so you havent gained any bhp.. jus tgot back to what you should have.. or close..

good luck to all of you modding your cars. but please dont expect miracles from suck cheap small mods.

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum