Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Monroe Gas-Matic / Front end strength.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Monroe Gas-Matic / Front end strength. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anyone had xperience with Monroe - Gasmatic on their 33. About to put a set of them on my S1 33. Wondering what the general thumbs up/ thumbs down is. Just to sway my perception before I try them.
What do people think about lowering springs with standard ride height shocks.
Also... is there any point lowering only the back of the 33. For fast road and occasional fun trackday?
Also...Also... Ive just fitted a sway bar to my S1 as it didnt have one- off a sud, does any one recon could contribute to more chance of front rail cracking. Ive got two front strut supports ( from bulk head to rail) off a series 3 33. I want to fit them by making a simple bracket, but, they dont seem to be a good fit, the mounting angle fits nicely on the Sud but the 33 has a more angled back bulkhead: Is an extra bend in the bar a good idea?.
Any experience would be tops. My new motor will be run in soonish and Ill want to start pushing the car.

Info from this site is awsome, has helped me heaps, thanks to all previous posts.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

sorry to say that its purely heresay and not my own experience, but i hear that monroe gas shocks dont last long on 33s...

as for dropping on stock struts, its fine if u are going conservative 1-1.5".. much more and u risk unseating the spring, not to mention totally mismatching the dampening rate of the strut with the spring and stuffing up the handling in a potentially dangerous manner.

cheers

joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Monroe Gas-o-matic double dampered shocks on the rear of my 33. Had them on for 2 years+
For me they were a good improvement over the standard shocks. My originals were nackered.

The Gas-o-matics aren't designed to be used with lowering kits. Performing best on a standard springs. Something to do with restricted travel and they can't perform properly.
Luis33Boxer
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, first post.... well, at least it's my first since a couple of years, now.

Anyways, I have a set of Moroe Gas-Matic shocks on my S2 33 and they've
done nearly 50kKm, 30kKm of which with a set of H&R lowering springs
(about 30mm lower). Had the shocks checked a couple of months ago and
they all showed about 88% efficiency.

That's really great, considering my somewhat-aggressive-sporty-wannabe
driving style... Twisted Evil

Have some plans for my 33 in a near future, though, going for some
improvement in suspension settings, a whole paint job and some extras.
Haven't quite decided about those extras, though, but a set of Koni's is
definetely on the horizon.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum