Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

diff's

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: diff's Reply with quote

hello again people,

diff's. are there any front or rear diff upgrades for the 33 perm 4? i know the rear is a bit of a weird system. seeing as its a beam rear axle rather than a diff and 2 half shafts with cv's.
could a rear axle from another alfa be fitted?

are there any lsd's made/could me made, to fit the 33's box?

what do people race with?
does anyone race a perm 4?

thanks

L.
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Diffs Reply with quote

LDA,

I only have a FWD 33 - but got a plate diff from Avanti for that. Wasn't cheap (special import from Italy) but it does the job well. Quaife have also made their ATB diff to fit the 33 - there are some floating round second hand but they're rare.

Not so sure about the back end - I know one or two P4s were raced, but don't have any contact details. I know of one P4 being rallied - but I think they use the std. diffs.

I know this probably isn't much help, but it's something!

Cheers,

Alan
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alan.

looks like a trip to quaife then. they can prolly do me a rear end diff too but i bet that isnt cheap!
i might as well get a frequent buyer card from quaife at this rate. if i get 2 more diffs for the p4 then that'll be 6 diffs in 2 years! Rolling Eyes

anyone in here raced a p4 or know anyone who has? any info at all on the diff would be nice. i'd rather not just weld it up.

thanks

Luke.
alfaqv33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lda,
i'm also looking for a quaifi diff, but i don't have a p4 (yet)! I have a 33 16V QV, mayby when you are looking around for your car, you will find a diff for my car, would you mail me? I can buy one quaifi diff for my car here in holland, but the price is about the 1000 euro.
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh no probs, i'll report back tomorrow when i get off the phone to quaife.

L.
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: LSD Diff Reply with quote

I have twice been involved in collecting orders for the Quaife Torsen differential.

They are very nice working (I have them on two boxers).

But you cannot buy a single one at Quaife. They will need an order for at least 10 pieces! Once we ordered 10 and once we ordered 14.

The price was about 1100 Euros.

I do not believe it will be possible once more to get 10 orders for this relative expensive part for an Alfa boxer.

Think it will fit in a P4, but you do not need it in a P4, unless you have more than 200 bhp AND go racing. So forget it!

Peter (DK)
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Quaife diff. Reply with quote

Dear alfaqv33

Could you give me a contact to the place in Holland where they have a Quaife Torsen ready for sale?

I have some times enquireries, and some persons would be very, very happy to have the possibility to buy one for 1.000 Euro.

Peter (DK)

redaktoer@alfaklub.dk
mark pollard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: diffs Reply with quote

I have come across two types of LSD for boxer gearboxes. BLS Automotive of Lincoln sometimes sell Torsen type diffs, and Nick Humphrey Motorsport of Hinkley sell a plate type. I used the NHM diff for a number of years in a Sud and was very pleased. It cost about £400 (in 1995). I believe that Adie Hawkins Motorsport (AHM) may also supply diffs.
Good luck,
Mark
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: LSD diff. Reply with quote

BLS Automotive in England has had the Torsen Quaife diff. on two occasions, because they got two extra diffs each time I collected the order for 10 an 14 diffs respectively. But they are sold a long time ago, and they will not get any more.

But Tom at BLS is very kind, and he may be able to help with getting the old plate type from somewhere.

Peter (DK)
ringmeister
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

There is no place in Holland selling the Quaife diff.
In your last batch two pieces were sold to the Alfa club in Holland and undersigned and a clubmember have these two pieces.

Last few months more people started enquiring and i told them that maybe one was left at BLS from last batch.

One of the Alfa 33 racers just bought a diff at Nick Humphrey instead.

So unless you use the Humphrey diff there are no Quaife diffs left presumably.

Tom, Squadra33
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: