Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 16v carburettor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorik
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: 33 16v carburettor Reply with quote

Hi fellow Alfisti,

it's been a long time since I've posted here, I've been reading the postings here and have seen that, Keith, Tino, Hugh and the other old school Alfisti are still around. Well an update on my 33. I didn't use it for the winter, and have been collecting all sorts of new parts during this winter. Koni dampers (yellow), 45 mm loweringsprings, polyurethan suspension bushes, 2 alloy inlet manifolds to fit the carbs to the 16v engine, a new airfilterbox, a Remus rearbox new Ronal wheels you name it I got it. Last month all was put together and a new beast was born. My 1988 33 1.7 16v QV B6 was ready...been working on the car for 9 years now and finally am nearing completion. The carbs on 16v are just so great! The car makes enormously cool sounds and backfires and is just so fast. This morning I drove the wheels of a new mini cooper S. Acceleration is just unbelievable. I'll make new pictures soon and will let you know when they're on my site.

Looking forward in hearing from you!
http://home.planet.nl/~koper193/index.html
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jorik,

it's allways pleasure to read other old school Alfista posts and hear about his 33.
I'm (& probably many others here) expecting detailed report on how to mount 16v with carbs, with "How to" & "How not to" lists all spiced with juicy photos Smile either here on on yours informative web pages.

Meanwhile which PU bushes have you bought, brand and how much did you paid for them? I'm after all PU bushes for my P4.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to add to the 16V engine with carbs.

A member of the Greek AROC has a 1984 sprint fitted with a 16V engine with 40 mm carbs.

The mechanic who fitted this engine told it was easy and straightforward. Only "problem" is that there is no much clearance to fit the standard airbox, so it is left without it for the time being.

The sound is however, superb.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
sportwagon haydn
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I too have been playing with my 33 for some years ( well they can`t arrest you for it!).

The engine I am working on at the moment is a 16v running individual throttle bodies & 2 injectors per cylinder.
The distributor has been replaced with a (whisper it) Ford coil pack & both the injection & ignition are cotroled by a remapable ECU.
It makes all the right noises(in particular when the filters are off & the ram pipes are sucking) & is both very driveable & quick!!
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy
Welcome back... Very Happy Very Happy
My 1.5 Ti was converted to 16v using your car as inspiration Twisted Evil . However, i dumped the injection system and used 40 Dellorttos, from the start... Wink
All i needed to make it exactly like yours, were those beutifull Ronal wheels. (impossible to find them here in Portugal), and before your bumper conversion... Confused
Are you using "hibrid" inlet manifolds, like i did on my car - Used the top part from an 1.7 inlet, to fit the carbs, and the lower part from the 1.7 16v, with the injector holes "covered", or are you using custom build manilfolds?
Sadly my car died after a 300 km trip... Sad . It never failed me, but when arriving home (about 2.5km) the cam belts failed with the obvious results... Mad Mad
Best regards
P.Camilo
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice to hear from you.

Come on, tell us the details.

All the best

Keith
Jorik
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!!!

Great hearing form you again, you too Paolo! Is Scott still around here with the 16v monza (awesome??). I haven't gotten around to updating my website yet, but I'll be free this weekend and planning on polishing the 33 and making some nice pictures!!

The PU bushes I've bought at:
http://www.es-international.nl/SUSPENSION%20GB/GB_index_suspension.htm
had to pay EUR 250 or so for a set. It were a lot of bushes (shopping bag full) and I still haven't placed them all (actualy need to go back to the firm and ask were the last ones need to go...). The front end of the car is so stiff now...hardly can push the nose down by hand anymore.

I'll get back to you soon!
http://home.planet.nl/~koper193/index.html
alfaqv33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jorik,
i have some pictures about the poly bushes:

and olso a lot of pictures about polishing a lot of parts:

Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jorik, great to see you're still improving your already fantastic 16V 33! Smile

I haven't been around here much because I've been driving a 155 for the past year, with the 33 left in storage, unused. The 155 believe it or not has just died with big end failure (only 45k miles too), and so I've just bought an S-plate 145 QV as a replacement daily runner (not going to do anything to it).

For some reason I felt 'betrayed' by the 155, it having failed so soon in its life. the 33 has done 80k (the engine's done about 100k) and it never so much as coughed... well that's not strictly true, but not completed died at least! Razz So I've washed down the 33, charged the battery, and turned the key -- and it started first time! Very Happy

I'm now severely tempted to continue the work I started on the 33 -- including replacing the IE with the 40mm Dellortos I've still got in a box somewhere. The fact that you've just done it is even more of an incentive.

Please tell me how difficult it was to fit the carbs so I know what I'd be in for!
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: weight Reply with quote

can anyone tell me the weight of a 1.7 8v and a 1.7 16v?.......I have nowbeen trying to find this information for ages!!!!!
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what jet set up was used?? I to am keen to know how the carb linkage to the heads were fab'ed. Thanks.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about fuel pump?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum