Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

My 1.7 Twin Carb 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: My 1.7 Twin Carb 33 Reply with quote

Well, I got my 1.7 Twin Carb Alfa 33 in June 2004. Originally I'd wanted a Nissan Pulsar/ Holden Astra but was talked into a 33 buy my Alfa Mechanic boyfriend. I was a little aprehensive at first but slowly got into the idea of an Alfa. All the Pulsars we were looking at were rusted out s***- boxes anyway. So an Alfa was a step up. Plus, I have Italian heritage so it seemed like a good idea.

We started shopping around, and came across the worst.... a very cheap series 1, with structural rust... an owner who wouldn't budge on the price when it wasn't worth anything near what he was asking.... and a few other crazy people.... Until we came across this one. We strolled into the garage to see two 33 sitting in front of us (a red series 2, and a charcoal IE). I wanted a charcoal one as I wanted to put in pink seats and stuff. Unfortunately he was selling the red one, but after and inspection and drive, my boyfriend thought it was a great choice and we decided to buy the car.

I was set on repainting it charcoal, but was saving up the money. A few months after buying the car I'd lent it to my bf for the day, but got a call from him during the day to tell me he'd had an accident. It was only scratches down the side of the car, and no major damage ($2500 worth though!!). After getting the money off the insurance company finally I could get it fixed. Seeing as it was going to be cheaper I decided to repaint the whole thing while they were at it. So after prepping most of the car, and pulling it all apart (minus the engine) it went the painters.

A few weeks later I saw my car (in bits) but finally charcoal. A few weeks after that and we'd finally got it pretty much back together. All with ‘new’ black carpet (originally red), and ‘new’ black roof lining (originally white), and ‘new’ seats coz mine were gone. And due to getting less damaged doors from the bf's work's parts they didn't fit so well (gotta love alfa's build quality... lol) So now the doors leak a bit (needs new seals anyway), and the panels aren't EXACTLY aligned. But I'm willing to forgo that coz it looks so cool.

I'm working on getting the skirts painted a bright pink (I know, most people cringe at hearing this.. but give me a break I'm a chic and LOVE pink). Plus I have pink seat covers, and made my own door trims out of grey faux fur. I’ve got a pink 'Think Pink' decal on the back windscreen, as well as a green serpent on the rear left window.

Next is the gear box rebuild (2nd and reverse are GONE), and then a total engine rebuild. We're installing power steering, and possibly changing it over to fuel injection (but not sure if I want to lose my webers.... Sad ), and putting in the sway bars that didn't come on my model. I think my bf has some other plans... like changing the hubs over and putting in stronger brakes, but I'm not quite sure Confused

I’ll try and get up some original and ‘now’ photos ...

Hope you like her... I love her. And don't think I'll ever sell her.. despite wanting to get a 156 in a year or so, and also wanting a 145. Can't wait till she's completely finished (but will that ever happen....lol) Smile

Last edited by the_angel on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nice to see a young lady infected with the Alfa Virus Very Happy

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day there!

You have to show some pics because I'm curious about the "chic look!" Being a designer, it's always fascinating to see what people do to personalise their cars. Wink
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here she is! Isn't she beautiful Very Happy
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice clean car,cool seats i like it Wink

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

That interior is mad! glad youve got it how you like it though.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the car looks cute Cool But I recommend sticking with the carbs and not going to power steering as you'll lose some feel and that's not a good thing. I just drove a 1.5 series 2 with power steering and was not impressed, especially at higher speed where it felt like it was wandering every now and then. I have a 1.5 series 2, a 1.7 series 2 and a series 3 P4 with standard power steering and I definitely prefer non-power steering. In fact the series 2 non-power steering can be very easy to turn if you pay attention to the tire pressures and strut pan bearings (and make sure the steering rack is in good nick/well greased). Yep, looking again, definitely cute. Very Happy
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't swap the car to fuel injection. There's no point putting more Italian electrics in your Italian car, especially if that'll make it sound worse and go slower.

The pink fur isn't as bad as I thought. Some would say an Italian car should be classy and stylish and that your seat covers are tacky... but in that grey colour the car could look a bit dull and German otherwise. It needs some colour to make it fun and slightly mad, like a 33 should be. Very Happy
I have red and black seat covers in my black 33.

Where did you get the new black carpet and headlining? How much did it cost?
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people

im with ben as to the italian electrics and paul with the steering,keep it stantard.but a 16v in a series 2 would be nice trust me Wink even tho mines dead at the moment,thanks to the electrics. Twisted Evil

all the best john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the_angels mechanic boyfriend (incase you haven't guessed)

Uh the EFI system is actually lifed from a Holden JE Camira, running the delco 808 EFI system. The system is also used on the Holden VN Commodore, Holden Astra and Nissan N13 pulsar. Here is the whole shooting gallery running on a bench through a Alfa 33 Dizzy: (Pic taken at a recent Alfa club tech night we ran at the shop)

So yeah we are dealing with Australian/American electronics

There is no way in hell I'm running a supercharged motor with a Carb. The last boxer race motor for the sirius ran a 2-1/2inch SU and blew to bits on a backfire event (still 22psi of boost on a 1.4L motor is not the best) The supercharged motor is going to sit in there as a temp, so I can rebuild her 1.7 twincarb which is getting a little lon gin the tooth (or at least clean the thing up)

As for brakes, I have this system ready to go, I just need some time (and I got to sort out a few other issues with her car) *sigh* she got the spare set of brakes from my VL Commodore...

As for the colour see it in the sunlight, its got lots of extra perl and sparkle in the paint. Its a (modded) Ford AU Falcon colour, Starlight charcoal or something like that.......

Last edited by kaBOOM on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't wanna lose the carbs but the mechanic/bf wants to use my car as a test bed for converting to and IE. You don't quite understand webers until you've driven with them and then you're in love!! I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm happy for power steering, but there's difficulty with keeping the air cond coz of limited room in the engine bay.
We got the headlining and carpet at a place that wrecks cars (bascially a big junk yard of cars and you can buy the bits you want). All second hand, and quite cheap, just needed a bit of a clean. You can occasionally find bits on ebay too.
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh dammit I forgot to log in..... GRRRR Evil or Very Mad
To feel better I'll just go for a drive and rev her up to 6 grand.... mwhahahahah..... Twisted Evil
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_angel wrote:
Ahh dammit I forgot to log in..... GRRRR Evil or Very Mad
To feel better I'll just go for a drive and rev her up to 6 grand.... mwhahahahah..... Twisted Evil

Damn your cool Wink
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the boys are in love with the Angel. How about a plate "alfachic". My wife also is Italian and loves Alfas. Enjoy.
Regards Eddie
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Uh oh..... Reply with quote

And I get abused by her for not being a Alfa freak Rolling Eyes Damn Commodore drivers she says......lol
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well I drove the "damn commodore" last night. Damn makes me love the alfa even more!!! Wouldn't give her up for the world. I was like 'where is the good noise when you rev her up???'
I still have to get the pics of when she was still red up. If I can find them somewhere... well I have a few prints (back before the digital camera.... haha...) I think I scanned them in sometime. Oh well.
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've done up some dummy skirts to see how they'll look on the car. Post them when I get them on the server (soon! really soon!). Just wanna see what people think. I think it looks good (maybe I'm biased??!!) But others think its not so good...

It's acrylic paint, while the car is two-pack. So want the skirts to be the same sparkle/pearl, so will match the car perfectly!

Merry christmas everyone! Hope santa brings what you want. I'm hoping for a factory pink 147.... hmmm........ Confused
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you think???

(in theory the pink will go all the way around the car, but thinking perhaps to leave the front off, and the back the charocal colour)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any thoughts at all?

Though I probably will go ahead despite anyhing I hear!
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot to log on. And now I've logged in under the bf's name. Oh well!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go for it! It is chique whatever that means. Very Happy
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Angel

Yeah go for it.thats what alfas are all about.they make you stand out in the crowd Wink

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum