Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Stretching belts on a 1.7 16v.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Stretching belts on a 1.7 16v. Reply with quote

Last month a mechanic friend of mine suggested i have the belts checked on my P4 for tension as it had been a couple of thousand miles since they were changed, turns out i've done 6k miles since they were changed (more thsan i thought!), took it to my friend who checked them and they were indeed loose. (he knew they would be cos of the way my engine was lumpy at idle).

He tightened them, the tensioners are now on max setting which means next time the idle goes lumpy i'll need new belts, which'll probably be about another 6k miles.

This is the first time i've heard about the belts stretching so quickly, but i'm glad i have as i can see why belts jump teeth so readily on the 16vs!

Anyone know if/where i can get uprated belts that don't stretch so quickly?
And anyone know if there's an uprated tensioner available that's sprung so it's automatic?

And if you're idle is a little lumpy i'd suggest you check your belt tensions pronto.
tinworm
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your concern regarding the belt stretching but it's probably worrying unduly. If they are like a vee belt (radiator, air con. etc.) then they do stretch or wear to suit the vee, or in your case wear to suit the pulleys.
This stretching is to be expected, hence the short interval to retension then they should only wear a little after that. If they keep on wearing then have a long hard look at the pulley/s that are undoubtadly at fault.
What do other people think or have experienced re. wear on belts? Interesting to know.

Cheers,... Col.
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 QV
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinworm wrote:
If they are like a vee belt (radiator, air con. etc.)

No, it's a toothed belt. Imagine some stretch to settle down would be normal but this seemed extreme.
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mt
it could be that the belts were overtightened in the 1st place causing them to stretch earlier than they should, you can get a device for measuring the tension from all good book shops Laughing
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual here that says all Very Happy

http://freeweb.siol.net/gjese1/manual16v.rar
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Steve, can understand the belts stretching a little to account for over tensioning but not as much as they did. Have done a coupla thousand miles since they were re-tensioned and haven;t noticed any probs yet though.
Will check out that manual when i get a RAR extractor installed, cheers! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: