Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

clunking sounds? bearings?any ideas

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: clunking sounds? bearings?any ideas Reply with quote

I am trying to identify some kindof knocking-clunk (but not engine) sound car tends not to fee too smooth on less than perfect roads over pot holes and general tarmac imperfections (hedgehogs etc.. no only joking1)while driving but dont really know how to describe it. I wondered if it is rear bearings (cheapest to replace!! fingers crossed!!) or suspension bushes/mounts. there is some movement somewhere causing this

possibly also front bearing or universal joint (no hope not. fingers crossed)?

any ideas where to direct my toolkit this weekend would be very much apreciated.

may be I should type in "alfa 33 clunk noises" in to lycos search engine Laughing
I am new to the alfa , love it. think I will get another one. possibly a 75 3litre v6.. hmmm b cool.

Jonathan
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: clunking noises? Reply with quote

If you start your engine and presuming you have power steering?,turn your wheels from left to right,and get a clunk,then i'd say its you top suspension mounts,they are very easy to do if you have a ball joint spliter.
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: no power stering Reply with quote

hi thanks for yuor reply.
my car is the earlier model with no power steering (its 33 Veloce G plate). andfrom memory I dont think i get a clunk when reaching lock to lock. but will check out the top mounts.

another rattley-sort of-tinkery sort of noise which sometimes becomes apparent and worsens as revs go heigher. i have had this on car which has decveloped over past two weeks sounds like perhaps something is vibrating against the exhaust (somewhere) so i have got to find the source of that too. hmmm. interesting stuff.

Surprised)
Jonathan
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Knocking Reply with quote

Your exhaust could be your problem.
If the rubbers are old you get quite a bit of movement and it will bang against the floor.
It is a very tight fit and has to be mounted fairly precisely in my experience.
If the rubber mounting loops are good try loosening the u-bolts at the joints and twisting it a little,its trial and error but only wat to do it.

Good luck with it

Ian
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your cam belts, if they are starting to shred you can get a rattely noise.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: