Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

I'm looking into making a new exhaust. The Powerflow one I had made a few years ago is good but uses 1.5" (38mm) diameter pipe straight out of the manifold and I think that might be causing a loss of back pressure and torque at the bottom end.

Can anyone tell me what the outside diameter of the primary pipes are on a standard 1.7 8valve exhaust? (32mm?) (I'm thinking of modifying a standard exhaust to fit around my chassis.)

I've done some searching on the site but can't find exactly what I need.

Also, how far does the standard exhaust drop down after leaving the manifold? (ie: distance from base of exhaust manifold/cylinder head to the bottom of the exhaust). (Too low and it will foul with a chassis rail so I might need to cut and replace the manifold flanges.)

And lastly - can anyone measure the distance from the front of the exhaust to where it joins 2 pipes into 1?

Thanks a lot
Rich
PS. For anyone who is thinking of making their own exhaust, I have a couple of sets of 8mm stainless manifold flanges with 35mm ID hole. PM me if you're interested- for the cost of p&p and a pint.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust Reply with quote

RBL wrote:
And lastly - can anyone measure the distance from the front of the exhaust to where it joins 2 pipes into 1?

I would be tempted to find someone who really knows what they are doing (not the typical stainless steel exhaust maker who just thinks bigger is better) and get them to make one up.

I know of one 33 based car that had a system made up with all the pipes the same length (some of them had to have some interesting routing). They managed to get substantially more power everywhere.

All the best

Keith
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be tempted to find someone who really knows what they are doing (not the typical stainless steel exhaust maker who just thinks bigger is better) and get them to make one up.

I'd love to do that but can't justify the cost when I already gave a good exhaust that works. I like the CSC equal length crossover system I've seen here recently, but it wouldn't fit under my gearbox.

This is an experiment as much as anything, so any dimensions would be really helpfull.
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone just tell me what the outside diameter of the primary pipes are on a standard 1.7 8valve exhaust?

I need this basic info whatever route I decide to take.

Thanks, Rich
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the old 16V exhaust outside. Not sure if the diameters are the same (front mounts aren't). Quick measure shows the outer diameters to be 42mm / 45mm / 50mm (ie, 4 individual pipes, 2 joined pipes, final pipe).

All the best

Keith
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith
I've done another search and it looks like the OD of the initial primaries is only 32mm / 1.25" on the 1.7 8v, but gets wider after a few inches.

That at least give me something to go on.
cheers, Rich
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBL wrote:
Thanks Keith
I've done another search and it looks like the OD of the initial primaries is only 32mm / 1.25" on the 1.7 8v, but gets wider after a few inches.

Yeah, that's cos they were too lazy to put bigger exhaust ports on the 1.7 - I think they're still the same size as on the 1.5. The 1.7 headers immediately expand to a fatter size whereas the 1.5 ones don't. I'll try to remember to measure both my cars tomorrow.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured outside circumference at very roughly 130mm on my 1.5 and 140mm on my 1.7.
That equates to outside diameters of more than 40mm in each case. Hmm.. maybe I should measure with something less stretchy and do so in daylight... Wink
Eddie_W
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my primaries at a whisker over 41mmOD or bang on 1.625"( 1&5/8"). If I remember right the secondaies are the same and I have a 50mm tailpipe
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: