Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

All Sorts of Work
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: All Sorts of Work Reply with quote

Well I've finally got the 94 1.7IE 8v home this past weekend and on Wednesday I began what will no doubt be weeks of work to get it ready to put on the track. Not in the sense of major mods etc. the interior is all prepped but the car has been sitting in a barn for 3 years and the suspension is rusty and the fuel tank leaking, I'll also be changing the cambelts, plugs, oil, etc.

I started with the fuel tank as you can see the outside of it looks quite bad.

Surprisingly the inside of the tank looks absolutely perfect! Sadly though one of the copper prongs broke off of the sender when removing the wires, it's surprising they all didn't given how corroded they were!

Hopefully I can just repair the prong as I don't think the senders are easy to come by these days.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Timing Belt Kits Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a timing belt kit for a 94 1.7 IE 8v. I went to my local parts house, they want just over a £100, the kit only includes 2 belts and tensioner pulleys, seems expensive.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangolstsi... perhaps alfa shop?
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfashop definitely still did 'em about a year ago for 8v mechanical tappet.

Try camskill.co.uk too

Belts should ideally be dayco or gates
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
Mangolstsi... perhaps alfa shop?

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Looks like I might have an opportunity to start working on the fuel tank later today, the inside looks fine as if it was recently treated with something like POR 15.

As for the outside I'm going to get the rust off and use either the Rustbuster or POR 15 product on to finish it. I was surprised to find a small amount of fuel remaining in the tank, it's possible the tank doesn't leak but maybe one of the hoses. I definitely smelled petrol when the guy I bought if from put a splash in the tank to start the car.

I'm also considering replacing a number of the suspension bushes, as the current ones look a bit knackered! Any recommendations regarding suppliers or kits, performanc or standard? I'm trying not to go crazy changing stuff before getting it on the track, but at the same time track days aren't cheap and I'd rather not have it break down on the first lap!
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerflex are known to be the leaders in the polly bush area.
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Sud%2C+Sprint%2C+33-501/1.html
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of 8 valve cambelts in the shed... brand new.

I don't have tensioners though. Alfa Racer... if you're interested, send me a pm...

B
Joelomint
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: All Sorts of Work Reply with quote

I was looking on german ebay the other day and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220612936368&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: All Sorts of Work Reply with quote

Joelomint wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220612936368&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

Hey Joelomint that just might be the way to go thanks!

Anyone know if the sender was the same on all 33's? I think I saw something in the Alfa Restoration site where the tubes can point in different directions?
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Powerflex are known to be the leaders in the polly bush area.
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Sud%2C+Sprint%2C+33-501/1.html

Ouch, if I changed them all I'd double what I paid for the car! I'll have to re-think my plan and only renew the really desperate ones!

Thanks Big Al.
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: All Sorts of Work Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:

Anyone know if the sender was the same on all 33's? I think I saw something in the Alfa Restoration site where the tubes can point in different directions?

Some are different. I seem to remember someone saying the one on the sportwagon faces the other way.

Saying that though, I replaced mine with one facing the other way......had no problems, you've just got to re-route the tubes.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Tank Update Reply with quote

Managed to get some time to start on the tank, I have to admit it was quite cathartic stripping away the rust! An there is alot of rust! I can't actually see any holes in the tank but there is still work to be done, even the small bits with paint are merely hiding more rust!

I'm going to order some of the Rustbuster stuff to take care of the outside of the tank both rust and paint wise, hopefully sorting the problem. Since the inside is in perfect condition I'll probably leave it, though I do have a nagging doubt about any tiny pin holes. It might be an idea to pour some of the POR 15 sealer inside it just to be sure it's solid!

At the start;

And at the end of the grinding, ok so it doesn't look brilliant yet, still have the rust treatment to do!

Last edited by Alfa Racer on Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start alfaracer.
I remember doing the same kind of thing to my red ser 2. I used Hammerite, I was told to pay attention to the join as that is where they usually fail, I used a wire brush and put several coats of Hammerite in between the join.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a fuel tank from Paul H a while back, anyway I stripped the surface paint and rust of it yesterday using a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder and some wet and dry sandpaper then gave it a coat of blue smoothrite/hammerrite paint, it has come up really good although I will give it another coat when the weather improves.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Rust Removal Reply with quote

Big Al & Oggie,

I take it you ground away all the rust before applying the Hammerite or did you not have to?

In some places I can strip away the rust to clean metal in others it doesn't seem to want shift hence my idea of treating it and then painting it. Although this POR 15 product seems to suggest I may only need to get rid of the loose rust before using this paint.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=094.924
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used hammerite and only wire brushed, the stuff you have may need a different application.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All rust is loose... just depends HOW loose Laughing

I didn't grind mine back anywhere near enough and now it's chipping off (remember what I said about preparation before?)

Grind it right back to clean metal and then use METAL READY to etch the surface. Then use METAL READY to etch the surface. Perhaps an application of METAL READY at this point would help too... and finally, finish off with some METAL READY. Then wash down with water and allow to fully dry before applying the POR15. The slightest bit of wet will stop the POR15 from sticking to the metal.

The reason for all this is that the POR15 doesn't stick to bare metal, only etched metal or rust.

B
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
All rust is loose... just depends HOW loose Laughing

I didn't grind mine back anywhere near enough and now it's chipping off (remember what I said about preparation before?)

Grind it right back to clean metal and then use METAL READY to etch the surface. Then use METAL READY to etch the surface. Perhaps an application of METAL READY at this point would help too... and finally, finish off with some METAL READY. Then wash down with water and allow to fully dry before applying the POR15. The slightest bit of wet will stop the POR15 from sticking to the metal.

The reason for all this is that the POR15 doesn't stick to bare metal, only etched metal or rust.

B

Some of my rust is definitely "looser" than others, in areas I can grind it away (with a wire brush on my drill) to clean metal in others it won't. I've put the wire brush on it for so long the metal gets hot enough to burn skin (don't ask how I know).

I need to get a smaller brush to clean some areas better, but there just isn't anyway I'll be able to get the whole tank back to completely clean metal, even if I manage most of it, but miss a tiny bit, that's it, the rust will be coming back! It's relentless stuff and I'm not sure the tank could take another attack, the rust was quite deep in places.

With so much else to do I also don't want to risk not getting on with the other jobs as well! I rang the UK distributors of POR 15 in the UK (Holden) and had a word with them, so here's the plan.

Wire brush away as much rust as possible, clean the outside of the tank with Marine Clean to degrease it (important step), then paint the outside of the tank with Metal Ready (it's an etching primer and converts the rust), then paint the tank with POR 15 Rust Preventative Paint (I'm going to chose black) it also has rust converter in it, and because the tank won't be exposed to UV light that's it, no top coat etc. required, I then shouldn't have any further issues with the exterior.

I am considering however dumping POR 15 Tank Sealer inside the tank as well in the event it does have pin holes or any issues around the seams, I'd hate to get it all back together only to find it is the tank leaking!

I'm going to invest in the big bottles of Marine Clean and Metal Ready so I can clean up the other rusting suspension components at the same time.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tip with the POR15 tank sealer is to MIX IT WELL. I did mine and the bottom half of the can was still solid matter.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got rid of the loose rust, most of the tank came up as shiny clean metal, Hamerite does say its ok to use on rust but I was very thorough to remove as much as possible, anyway Im going to apply a second coat and the a top coat of stone chip paint, if the tank shows signs of chipping i will notice it due to painting it blue not black Wink
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john 33_16v wrote:

Try camskill.co.uk too

John, spoke with Alfashop they have the kits, but reckon I need belts for hydraulic rather than mechanical tappets for my 94 1.7 IE 8v. How do I definitely tell which I need?
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: All Sorts of Work Reply with quote

Joelomint wrote:

Joelomint, I was about to order this and noted the following in the advert;
Quote:
Passend für Alfa Romeo 33 - 1. Serie ab Bj. 83 - 1,3 - 1,5 L

I presume this means this won't work with a 1.7 IE engine?
Joelomint
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I would think it will be fine, only 4x4 had an obviously different tank.

Wouldn't want to bet my nuts on it tho Laughing
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joelomint wrote:
Hmmm...

I would think it will be fine, only 4x4 had an obviously different tank.

Wouldn't want to bet my nuts on it tho Laughing

Good thing to, I wrote to the firm selling it and they came back and said 1.3 & 1.5's only, now they may have been just reading off the box, I don't know!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:
john 33_16v wrote:

Try camskill.co.uk too

John, spoke with Alfashop they have the kits, but reckon I need belts for hydraulic rather than mechanical tappets for my 94 1.7 IE 8v. How do I definitely tell which I need?

John, I spoke with Paul at Alfashop, definitely hydraulic tappets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: