Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Window related help required!!!! please!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie-H79AMP
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Window related help required!!!! please!!!! Reply with quote

Driving to work today my electric window went down in a lovely fashion(I’m sure you can guess where this is going) cooling me on this fine summers day, but alas! pulling up when at work the window would not return to the closed position and the passengers side window is now also on strike as well, no fuses are blown and as I doubt that both motors have given up at the same time and the switches are in good working order I’m currently blaming the relay! which would be fine if I hadn’t take out the manual to check the service history and left it in my flat! so I’m now reduced to just shouting at all the relays in the hope one will jump out and tell me its not working!

My question to you, the gods of the Alfa 33 is: which relay is responsible for the windows? or indeed am I right to be blaming the relay is there something else I should be looking at first? I’ve tried searching through past posts here but haven't really the time as I’m meant to be working. I’ve taken the battery out of the car so should anyone try to steal it they wont get very far but when I get home at 1 in the morning I don't really want to leave it on the street with the window down!

So if anyone can help i'd be very great full, i'm at work until midnight.

Charlie.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Window related help required!!!! please!!!! Reply with quote

charlie-H79AMP wrote:
no fuses are blown

Hi Charlie... are you sure? The fuse for the electric windows isn't in the fusebox, but inside the dash (under and to the left of the steering wheel if I remember correctly.

B
charlie-H79AMP
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your quite right Bobber i didn't check that fuse though now i have and it's not blowen either! so i guess it's that relay at fault then? or maybe the power supply to it? but i'll have wait till morning to get a multimeter on it then maybe a trip to see Graham and see if he has any spares kicking about! in the mean time i can't get the window up by hand so if i take the door card off when i get home is it quite easy to raise the window? or am i best off parking very close to a wall? Very Happy
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask me mate... I broke 4 window mechanisms in three weeks! Laughing

B
charlie-H79AMP
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Laughing

Well as i'm getting home in the early hours i think i'll take the park close to a wall option instead of pissing about with it in the dark!

thanks for pointing out that fuse and relay for me!

Charlie
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the switch, could it be that if the drivers switch goes it takes out the other window.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie, take the door card off and use two wires from the battery to power the window motor. Wires one way round will send the window down and the other way round will send it up.
Sue's series 2 car once had both windows go. I checked everything before ending up at the switches not believing that both could go at the same time, but strangely, they had. I replaced the switches and all was fine.
Not saying this is what has happened with you, though.
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just a bad earth maybe.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do you have the wiring diagrams?

They show the electric window relay as having as a built in relay. Looks like the relay is separate to the fusebox but inside the car.

All the best

Keith
charlie-H79AMP
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i do have the wire diagram was checking it out at home last night then set about check each part of it this morning, made sure all the switches had good contact which they did check the fuse again and look at the relay which looked functional, put it all back together still didn't work but i had run out of time so set off for work, then some git in a pug 305 gti pulled out in front of me on a roundabout skidded to a stop and then stalled, started the car up again and then when i got to work tried the windows and now they work! Very Happy which is great and everything but i can't help thinking it wont be long till they give up again! i did check all the wires and they seemed to be making good contact but i guess for this to happen there must be a loose one somewhere?

thanks for all your advice guys, guess i'll have to wait till it goes wrong again to be able to get to the bottom of it!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Could even just be a broken wire where it goes into the door. Open the door and close it again and if you are lucky it makes contact.

Had that with the boot lock on the 155 Crying or Very sad . Unfortunately it struck on a day when I was playing silly buggers on a runway on a bike, and all my bike gear was in the boot, as were any tools I needed to open the boot. And the key lock on our 155s boot had the badge glued in place over it.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: