Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fuel filler cap overhaul tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler cap overhaul tutorial Reply with quote

Following from this thread
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6456&highlight=fuel+smell

I was after replacement fuel filler cap rubber, as I lost mine, it probably flew out when I dropped my cap once.

I got a whole cap from Alex, thanks mate, I took that one apart and took some photo’s for a tutorial.
I wanted to service mine as it has started to become stiff and instead of just filling up the lock with white grease, I would properly service it.

Pics of it apart

You can see the rubber gasket that I wanted on the left, it sits in the part next to it, that has a thread and screws into the filler neck.
This then pushes onto the cap on the right, with the bits in the middle looking like this

The metal clip holds the lock

in place.
When the lock is turned the nodule at the end of the barrel turns on the spring loaded plastic slider

This either locks or unlocks the threaded part by locating in the grooves

here you can see it in action

The barrel has a stop tag on it which the cap allows the key to turn a set amount

It’s not easy to see.

To take it apart there are 3 lugs that hold the whole thing together, prize them over one by one. I heated up the cap with a hair dryer so it didn’t snap.
The whole thing is spring loaded by a loose spring, so don’t loose the spring when you take the centre out.
You can now remove the U shaped clip holding in the barrel

Make sure the lock is in the position where the plastic slider is out, otherwise when you take out the barrel the spring and plastic slider will fly out.
Check to see that all the tumblers move freely, if they don’t you can use a screwdriver and tap from the bottom side until it moves freely.

I chose to tap all the corrosion out lightly with the screw driver and soak it in lime scale remover, then clean with a wire brush, rinse with water and dry with a hair drier and lube it up afterwards. I would fill the whole lot up with white grease and never have to worry about it again.

Fit together by putting in the spring loaded plastic slider, then the lock and then the U shaped clip to retain the lock. Then put the spring back in place and push the cover back on, making sure all 3 clips lock back in place.

When I took mine apart I noticed it was different, there are no 3 clips but a round plastic cover that is glued in place.

Luckily mine came off without any problem, also the whole of the middle part is made of metal and not plastic like the other one. This metal will never allow the key to turn more than it should, unlike the other one which did.

I also noticed a rubber grommet around the barrel

which is missing from the other one

All three parts

When I put mine back together, I weighed down the centre part and applied industrial strength super glue to both parts and then let it set for 1 hour. The thing is under constant pressure from the spring so no harm.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Al... new camera for Xmas?!?! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
33bits
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! i look forward to reading your engine build tutorial Al, we will have to get more web space first. Very Happy Very Happy Smile
33 16v (for sale)
156 JTS sportwagon
contact me for any 33 parts. Alex, 07896-327708
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Al.
Dont spose you know where I can get those u-shape clips from?
greencloverleaf pat
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: car Reply with quote

good tutorial alan and good pics and easy to follow Wink .

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent step by step instructions for a simple but satisfying evening project Wink

Did one a week or so ago and ended up, as you suggested, using graphite grease before assembly. Works great and feels wonderful when inserting the key without any notchiness.

However, just finished a second one and before putting it together I was wondering if it really is a good idea to use any grease at all when putting it together. The only metal parts are in the lock cylinder while everything else is plastic-to-plastic movements. The first one I took apart did indeed have some kind of grease in it while the second one -- which was in better shape -- didn't. Talking to people that knows more about locks than I do they suggested that one should never use grease on any lock cylinder. They have suggested that the only lubrication that should be used is special lock oil for the cylinder while everyting else should be left without lubrication.

I'm inclined to believe they may be correct, except I would want some kind of oil or grease covering the cylinder to avoid oxidation and buildup of deposits, which I found on both of these.

What's the consensus? Should the lubrication be limited to oiling the lock cylinder and leaving the various plastic parts alone.
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic to plastic = silicone

Locks - graphite powder
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Ian M, sorry I have no Idea where to get the u-shaped clips from.
As to lubrication, I would think a lock person would know more about locks than us grease monkeys, any reason they advise special lock oil and nothing?

JC, powder, hmm Smile
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ye of little faith:

http://www.lockmonster.co.uk/search/tag/ceka-graphite-powder.html
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long that lasts and why other methods are not recomended and how long mine will last?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum