Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Interior Light bulb replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Interior Light bulb replacement Reply with quote

I feel a bit daft asking this after having 33s for such a long time, but how do I remove the transparent covers for the interior lights?

Maybe I never had to change a bulb before, if I did I don't remember Embarassed

They seem very tight, maybe the plastic is harder in this cold weather - do I lever them out with a screwdriver, or is there a gentler method?

I'm cautious, because I frequently discover how plastic Alfa bits are held together after I've broken them Crying or Very sad
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to take the whole unit out and get at the bulb from behind it
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download a manual here http://alfaromeo33.extra.hu/
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but

I have the manual.

It says "Remove the press fitted transparent cover" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Edit: See Manual Section 40 - 77
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 103 of the manual you can download has two pictures. Not very well-explained I would agree. Looks like there might be a sort-of clip on one of the shorter sides of the rectangle.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eagle3.

I was referring to the "33 nuovo" manual. It has exactly the same picture as the one you referred to (in the Sportwagon Owner's Manual), but underneath it says:

1. Remove the press fitted transparent cover.
2. Remove the metal cover by freeing the retaining tabs.

So maybe there are 2 different designs for the light assembly,
OR
the plastic tabs tend to snap off when the transparent cover is levered off, so they changed the instructions.

It feels like something is going to break when I try to get it off with my fingers, as I have done with other car interior lights of a similar design.

I think I'll try removing the whole assembly as per the Owners manual.

If it breaks I have 2 spare cars - 4 light assemblies!

Last edited by RFlower on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, here is the pic from the "33 nouvo" manual

eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was referring to the "33 nuovo" manual. It has exactly the same picture as the one you referred to (in the Sportwagon Owner's Manual),

The one on the download site is the latest 33 manual. I have a hard copy here that was in the '94 1.3i.e. I bought, It covers both saloon and Sportwagon.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about that, I have the same Owners' manual as you do, in the Trofeo!

I just never looked at it, but just in the manual I have saved, to avoid going outside in the cold.

Anyway, I couldn't lever the light assembly out without damaging the plastic surround, so i removed the panel holding both the light and clock, which unclips very easily, giving access to the top of the light, unclipped the metal cover and took out the bulb.

The bulb was OK, just dirty contacts, but when I tried to get it back in its holder it fell inside. After fishing it out another 2 or 3 times I gave up on getting it back this way.

I could see the transparent cover is just held in by the spigots it rocks on, so levered it out carefully.

DON'T DO THIS! Out flew 2 springs, 2 ball bearings and a bit of plastic tube which make up the switch mechanism. Luckily they landed on the seats, so I was able to find them.

I eased out the light assembly from the top, the plastic is so cold that the clips wouldn't deform easily, but if my heat gun had been handy it might have helped.

After reassembling the springs etc. and replacing in the car it works once more.

Now I just have to do the rear one Very Happy
Brit01
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know.

Mine has stopped working recently!

Also need to try and get the rear fog lights re-wired.
Can't seem to trace them.
I know the wires to the relays were mixed up a little and since I bought the car 4 years ago these have never worked.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: