Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

tapping or ticking noise??? 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpanayi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: tapping or ticking noise??? 33 Reply with quote

I have hreg series 3 16v Boxer 1.7 and ive always looked after and maintained it well. Recently it has started making a tapping or tickiing sound coming from under the hood, this sound taps faster as u rev. but after a while its stops, then comes back again. it doesnt affect the performance at all but it just sounds like an old VW Beetle sometimes.
the only thing ive done to try to cure it is add some oil additive but doesnt seem to have worked. Just thought id ask here before i take it in to the doctors.
thanx
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Try looking trough the "Maintenance and repairs"-section.
Look for stuff such as this: http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1814
For some reason, the search function ain't getting me any results, even with the correct keywords.. Hmm.

Anyway, most likely it's your valve lifters acting up. My 1.5 IE did this, and the previous owner even drove from Denmark to France and back with the problem still there... So it ain't exactly a engine-killer problem. Wink
Changed the 4 valve lifters on one side (my 1.5 being a 8v), and voila, problem solved.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizz wrote:

Anyway, most likely it's your valve lifters acting up. My 1.5 IE did this, and the previous owner even drove from Denmark to France and back with the problem still there... So it ain't exactly a engine-killer problem. Wink
Changed the 4 valve lifters on one side (my 1.5 being a 8v), and voila, problem solved.

Yeah it is no engine killer, in most of cases anyway. Usually it only speeds up camshafts wear.
Cams aren't that cheap also, and 16v ones are hard to find these days.

Check oil level first. Low oil level and high speed cornering can kill boxer, 16v even more easily then others.
How long ago was it changed, which brand model is it? Is it original oil filter?

In some cases it can also be cloged injectors, that produce similar ticking sound.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. The dreaded tick! I have suffered for a long time over this one!

There are five things which instantly come to mind :

1. There is air trapped in the tappet - follow the link like suggested for this one.

2. An oil blockage is stopping oil flow from filling up the tappet correctly. An oil flush, and the use of thin oil (say, 5W/30) can help with this.

3. The tappets are worn, and losing oil. A thicker oil helps here. It has less chance of leaking from the tappet. My car has this, it was fine until I flushed the system and filled with synthetic oil.

4. The oil breather system is blocked, creating pressure against the flow of oil. This can be cleaned by removing the screw inside the oil filler cap (clean the gauze with petrol).

5. You have an oil filter installed, without a 'non-return' valve. Always use the correct Alfa filter.

I hope some of those points help!

Rob
mpanayi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your advice i will try what you have recommended and let u know how i get on.

bring back the boxer engines out with the twin sparks hoorah!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum