Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16V - fuel pickup pipe size

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: 16V - fuel pickup pipe size Reply with quote

Could someone with a 16V who has ever removed their fuel tank please tell me how wide the pickup pipe leaving the tank is?

The rubber hose entering the fuel pump is a lot wider than the metal pipe that leaves my fuel tank (the metal pipe is taken straight from my original carbed 1.7 8V configuration), which makes me suspicious that it might not be up to the job of delivering fuel at high output.

Will this same metal pipe that was on the tank with the carbed 8V be OK to use in the 16V EFI application? The fuel pump I have comes from a P4 (different tank/pickup design) so I can't simply swap pickups.

Advice please...

P.S. The tank I'm using is a proper EFI tank - in fact it's virtually identical to the one that was in there before, save one extra pipe next to the pickup/float methanism that doesn't seem to have a use. The float mechanism fits perfectly and so does the pickup pipe. Will the same metal pickup pipe be OK for the 16V EFI?
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If the tank you are using is one for an injected car then it should be OK. Remember that with the fuel injection you must have a return pipe back to the tank

All the best

Keith
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith, the carbs also used a return line - the tank the car already had had exactly the same connections as the new 'EFI' tank I bought for the conversion (so I actually could've left it alone). There's just one extra connection next to the pickup that doesn't have a use.

The return line we've decided to connect to the connector on the filler pipe (in the wheelarch) - that's where the old return line went to. But this arrangement wasn't described in any of the manuals which was confusing. Instead they showed the return line going straight into the tank via the connector we're using as the breather connector!

We've installed rubber EFI fuel tubes from front to back (from the P4) It's just the metal pipe between the tank and the fuel pump I wasn't sure about. But I've just spoken to Matt C and he says there shouldn't be a problem.
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum