Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Need advice. buy S2 or S3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Need advice. buy S2 or S3 Reply with quote

I am buying a 33. Should I go for S@ or 3? Points for my consideration

Is the S2 lighter in weight??
Which trailing arm set up is better? (According to Car Mag, S3 trailing arm is an improvement to handling.)

Thanks for any imput.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you're after. S2 is easier to maintain. Carbed engine and non-power steering both more responsive and car is lighter. S3 16v faster at higher speeds especially without cat and it looks more aggressive. S3 is heavier, but stronger. 16v engine needs to be kept revving to get best performance. Slightly better rear vision out of S2 and better door handles! S3 Permanent 4 handles nicely, but even harder to maintain. Probably most important is to find a car with a solid chassis and happy engine. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the body is lighter? Do you know where the weight is shaved from? tks.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S3 have zinc protected chasis body, S2 didn't. Smile
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see. That's where the additional weight is from. Kindda like the sud Ti's extra weight from the strengthening.

But I don't quite see the S2 with major rusting problems like the sud/sprints. So as an enthusiast, which would you go for?
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some strengthening in the S3 (bracing bars in engine bay) and also power steering and lengthened nose might add a little weight.

When I was looking for a 33 I liked the S2/S1 for their added 'old car' charm. I've been in 1980s Jap cars that make my '88 33 feel like an antiq.. I mean classic sportscar. The S1/S2 seem to feel even older than they are! Wink
I could have bought some early 90s fuel injected air conditioned power steered car with an airbag, beepy warning chimes etc for not much more money. But I'd decided to get my first Alfa, and for the full experience I needed twin carbs.
I drove S3 cars and they're not too sanitised or modernised - if the right S3 had come up for sale I'd have bought it cos I was short of time. What I really wanted was a tidy red Sprint QV with phone dial mags, black plastic and green carpet to the max, but you take what you can get!
GaryUK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's a 16v S3 go the S2 route.

The single point injection S3's(and S2's in some countries) are sluggish compared to a two twin carb S2 of the same engine size.

I recommend a 1.7 Veloce or Green Clover Leaf S2 or a 16v'er if you are a good DIY'er
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. I will be viewing the S1 next week and if the price is right, I will get it.

Sad news my buddy's 16v is going for scraps. It is equipped with Autodelta "cross everywhere" extraxtors and BBR chip. I can only keep the parts and surrender the engine block with chasis due to regulations Crying or Very sad .

At the same time a 1.7 sud is being stipped for scraps as well. Sigh... Nothing I can do. If only I can buy them all. These are amoung the last 2 in my country.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news my buddy's 16v is going for scraps. It is equipped with Autodelta "cross everywhere" extraxtors and BBR chip. I can only keep the parts and surrender the engine block with chasis due to regulations Crying or Very sad .

At the same time a 1.7 sud is being stipped for scraps as well. Sigh... Nothing I can do. If only I can buy them all. These are amoung the last 2 in my country.[/quote]

Very sad about the car's,
but you should do what i did 16v in a s2 green clover leaf, the best of both world's. still love my car. have had the engine in the car for 2 years now love it Laughing Laughing
regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
kyalfa33
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has you buddy's 16V been scrapped yet? I am in need of some trim parts, door cards etc. rims for my 16V.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Mr Lim???
kyalfa33
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes!
I'm bought the black 16V from Arun some years back.
The interior is in need of some TLC, the dash is cracked in numerous places and the door "cards" have faded.
And you are?
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call me if you need something. 91881224. I have no solutions for your dashboard. All of us are driving around with cracked ones. And the one in the 16v has collapsed beyond repair. I will be viewing the S1 this weekend and will buy it if the condition is good.

S1 S2????? does anyone know the difference, if there are any??? I will be commiting this weekend. Somebody stop me if S1 is not a good buy. Thanks.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1 has a more interesting dash. It's all about rust really. If it's okay underneath buy it.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm asking too much. Basically S1 and S2 are same in casting but S1 is not galvanized? Thus might be rotting?
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically S1 use to rot a lot more than S2. The most robust is the S3.
For me, best buy would be a S2 1.7 with carbs (QV).
It combines the best looks of S1/S2, with an 1.7 engine.
Latter on you can even shoehorn an 16v engine (S3), making one hell of a fast car... Cool
Yes, my favorite 33 is definetly the S2 1.7 QV...(With an 16v engine, an S1 1.5 QV front grille, Ronal A1 alloys, the reinforcement bars on the front crossmembers from the S3, and S3 P4 interior-Recaros included)
All the best
P.Camilo
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually running a 1.7 8V QV engine in my S3. The car might be going for scraps. So engine is settled. The big question is body. I am quite tempted for a fact that S1/2 is much lighter.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy
If weight is a priority, why not get an Alfasud or even an Sprint?
Rust is a nightmare on those, but they are lighter, and you can also fit all kinds of Boxers on those...
If you are looking for old-timer looks, they look even older (Alfasuds), and stylish (Sprint)...
An Sprint (latter one) 1.7 QV, that, would also suit me very well Cool
An Alfasud TI QV with an 1.7 engine conversion.... Laughing Laughing
I´m starting to dream awake Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Best regards
P.Camilo
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. My first car was a sprint veloce. But when the prices of the sud or sprint are more than double the price of a 33 in my country, I am choosing a 33.

Also because I am keeping most spares of a 33, and I prefer the vented disks(cost again) compared to those inboard ones which failed me due to heating and require uprating.

In short, I can get the 33 in kick ass condition faster and cheaper.

I just heard from a friend the S1 suffered chasis failure under hard driving (esp strut mount area) due to the weaker body. How true is it? I really need to know coz I am intending to enroll in a race. Thank you guys again for your contributions.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
To be honest, i never saw one 33 with cracks on its chassis... Confused
However have read on this forum that, not only S1 but also S2 can suffer from cracked chassi rails, and top strut damages... Sad
Maybe that`s because of that problems, that S3 have reiforcement bars, going from the chassis rail to the firewall... Very Happy
This was probably caused, by excessive speed on bad roads...(this is very strange - roads here in Portugal are very bumpy, and i havent seen any 33 with this problem)
Best regards
P.Camilo
Serp33

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two friends that crack their strut mount area. One in S1 an S2. I'll be viewing that car later. Now I really hope that it is an 83 model so I can qualify for the race.
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While S3 rust less than the others, my fave is still the S2. Granted, the S1 and S2 didn't come with sway bars (I think they came on the S3, and you can install these on the S1/2), and I have seen a few with cracked chassis rails. Aesthetically the S1/2 are better, the lines are much smoother on the earlier ones, and yeah, the door handles are cooler too. S3 has cool dials in the dash, but the S2 aren't that bad either.
In terms of engine, I haven't driven an S3, but I wouldn't give up my twin carb boxer engine for anything . This is something the S3 and the later S2 IE models lack (webers, that is).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellamachinna wrote:
Hi... Very Happy
To be honest, i never saw one 33 with cracks on its chassis... Confused
However have read on this forum that, not only S1 but also S2 can suffer from cracked chassi rails, and top strut damages... Sad
Maybe that`s because of that problems, that S3 have reiforcement bars, going from the chassis rail to the firewall... Very Happy
This was probably caused, by excessive speed on bad roads...(this is very strange - roads here in Portugal are very bumpy, and i havent seen any 33 with this problem)
Best regards
P.Camilo

You havent seen one in Australia.... :-/
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
Are you talking about roads or cars?
If you are refering to bumpy roads, there is one motorway, not far from where i live (about 3/4km), that was built with concrete (not asphalt).
My car cant exced 60km/h in there, because of the bumps. the rattles from the dashboard makes it look like it will break the car in peaces..
AH, and this "motorway" is toll paid... Shocked
All the best
P.Camilo
Horizontally Opposed
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah!
That sounds like a greek speedway Laughing

I think the government should be paying us for the damage the greek roads do on our cars!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum