Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Stud Conversion...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Stud Conversion... Reply with quote

I have bought a conversion to go to studs on my Sud for a few reasons.

The thread on the hubs is 1.25 and thread on nuts for the 4 spoke revolutions is only available at 1.5, so I have studs that are 1.25 thread that will screw into the hubs and then a small blank section, followed but a long 1.5 thread.

Query is this - securing the studs in the hubs... ? Some other stud conversions I have seen have a ridge on the blank section I mentioned above but a lot do not have this ridge. When I screw these studs in the hub, what is to stop them going right thru???

Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good one.

I suggest that you wind them in as a test fixing first and line up the end of the stud with the end of the hole. To do this you would need to look or feel behind the hub to see how far the stud has gone. There is no point winding them in too far as there will be no additional grip once they have gone passed the hole - and will only bind on the inner part of the hub if you do go too far.

Once you have worked it out then fix them in with some strong thread lock. My other thought is to measure the depth of the hole and measure the length of 1.25 thread and see where they would end up if the thread was evenly inserted. Presumably the 1.25 thread runs out at some point - would this not then start to bind on the hole - or is the central flat section below the hight of the threads?

Some trial and error would probably be the best thing.

Regards,

Edward.
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Edward.

You really think a strong threadlock would be good enough?

Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it is a little difficult to work out how they are intended to fit without seeing them. I would almost expect them to be some sort of interfearence fit along the threads at some point to really grip into the existing threads. I have seen some that bang into place from behind - that are intended to cut into the existing threads- these are mushroom headed so they could not pull out. The is no space to do this on a 33 hub as the main hub is too close to the holes to get studs in from behind.

I am looking to do this shortly myself but before I start I need to be certain of wheel type and nuts - but once I am sure if I insert studs in from the front then once they are through the plate I intend to weld the end of the studs to the back of the hub plate. There is just about enough room to get the held of a welder in between the location at the back of the rotating part of the hub and the hub carrier itself.

The only other alternative is to take the hub apart and insert studs from the rear.

Can I ask where you got your studs from - as I am looking for some extra long ones to accomodate some 20mm wheel spacers.

Avoid the threadlock if you can - it will just stop the studs undoing so easily.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: