Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Changing up from a series 1to a series 2, 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosco
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Changing up from a series 1to a series 2, 33 Reply with quote

Hi folks, have been ""given" an 1989 1500cc Alfa 33 that has a crook gearbox.
and a some exterior parts missing Lights etc, but is otherwise in excellent condition and much better condition than my 1986 series 1 33
Everything is there apart from front suspension and cv joints. My question is
am I able to transplant the front suspension from my series 1 alfa 33 into a series 2. and would there be any difficulties transplaning my series 1 gearbox onto the series 2 1500 engine. My understanding is that the set up is identical but wondered if there are any traps that I should look out for when changing gearboxes. Would it be a good time to replace the rubber suspension mounts with neoprene/nolothene while the suspension is out??
Cheers and thanks in anticipation,
Rgds
Rosco.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think there'd be any problems. What model is your series 1? (e.g. 1.3, 1.5QV)... My manual suggests some 33s had different wheelbases and track widths, but I doubt they changed any of the suspension mounting points.
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Series 1 to Series 2 Reply with quote

The front suspension for the Series 2 has an anti roll bar. But the series 1 will fit providing you use the cross member as well as the Series 2 crossmember is different ( to accomodate the anti roll bar). The brakes on the Series 2 should be better with the ventilated discs. I am uncertain if they were only on the 1.7 version or if they were on all. The dashboard layout of the series 2 is much better but has a propensity to break whereas the series 1 dash seems to be everlasting. Good luck. Watch out for chassis cracks near the steering arms in the engine bay. Smile
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Series 1 to Series 2 Reply with quote

I have just remembered that the series 2 gearbox has an improved gearchange linkage, so if you can get your hands on that it is worth it. It will fit the series 1 gearbox ok. I do not think that there is any significant difference in the gearbox internals apart maybe from some ratios which should be the same for the same size engine. Smile
Rosco
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all you assistance guys
Im now after some new front shocks
CV's and boots so I'll keep you all up to date
rgds
Rosco.
icky
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have all the front suspension out, Check the sub frame/ front engine mounts for cracks, they are notorious for it,
and now would be a good time to replace all the bushes, especially the gear linkages. Don't forget the rear trailing arms.

Ventilated brakes are an easy swap (discs and calipers) just don't forget to change the brake hoses at the same time ( mine looked okay, but were so collasped that you could not get a piece of mig wire through it Shocked )
Replace ALL the brake fluid while you're at it.

So..
Thats the weekend taken care of..... Razz

1988 33 1.5 S 8V
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: