Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

ignition-see previous/ poss now fuel starvation.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galaxierog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: ignition-see previous/ poss now fuel starvation. Reply with quote

The car eventually starts but does smell of petrol a bit like it has been flooded even though I have not depressed the accelerator, just turned the engine over.

When started it stutters as though it is starved of fuel and if I am not careful when I press the accelerator it will cut out, however once revved up it is fine and does not seem to have any misfire etc.

Anybody any ideas? (not having a manual doesn't help)
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my manual for possible causes linked to the symptons you described:

Faulty or worn spark plugs.
Damaged high tension cables.
Faulty ignition condensor ??
Clogged air filter.
The rest of the causes were all linked to carburettor fitted cars, problems with chokes, carb settings and timing.
galaxierog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: ignition-see previous/ poss now fuel starvation. Reply with quote

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

We have devised a way of getting it to start. spray petrol into the air filter box. Whilst not ideal it works until I get my workshop manual.

Is there an enrichment adjustment for cold starting? Cheers. Confused
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Cold start problem (?) Reply with quote

If you're having to spray fuel into the intake to increase the fuel charge, it would seem that the cause may be elsewhere. Since the ECU controls cold starting, any normal advance of ignition is ultimately controlled by engine (ie coolant) temperature, initial cranking revs, air intake temperature and battery voltage. The more likely culprit could be the Coolant Temp Sensor found near Cylinder 1. When cold, the sensor should have a high resistance and gradually decrease as the engine warms. A possible faulty Air Flow Meter could cause this problem too.
galaxierog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually had the Air flow box held upside down whilst the starter motor was repaired recently. Could this be what has upset the starting system. Are there loose/moveable parts in this box?
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaxierog wrote:
We actually had the Air flow box held upside down whilst the starter motor was repaired recently. Could this be what has upset the starting system. Are there loose/moveable parts in this box?

This would only be a concern if the unit was dropped. I can't find it anywhere, but is your 33 with the Motronic ML 4.1? I assume it is.

Put your finger into the AFM box and gently and slowly move the flap. It should move easily and lightly, with no binding. I still think the Coolant Temp sensor needs to be tested though. With respect to the AFM, check all wiring and terminals to determine whether there is corrosion or loose/broken connectors.
galaxierog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: ignition-see previous/ poss now fuel starvation. Reply with quote

Air flow box is a Bosh jetronic. Have now got the manual from ebay and looking at the diagrams will have to work through the flowchart.
galaxierog2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Ignition Reply with quote

Thanks everbody who helped the temp sensor was the problem I cannot believe that little sensor stopped the whole car working.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: