Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Head gasket change

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Head gasket change Reply with quote

Hello folks

I have to change one of my head gaskets, but was wondering exactly what parts would be needed. A head gasket of course, but what else?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust gaskets, carb gaskets, cam belts (may as well do them while you are at it).

All the best

Keith
zp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: re : head gasket Reply with quote

hi

i agree with Keith, i wouldn't re-fit old cam belts, and you mignt as well replace their tensioners at the same time.
besides, i would consider replacing the water pump, and of course you'll have to drain the engine, so buy engine oil and coolant, the oil filter too (if you had water in the oil then you must replace it). don't forget the copper washers for the drain plugs.
if you were burning water, you should replace spark plugs too.
and by the way, there's a special tool for tightening the cylinder heads in the car since a normal dynamometric wrench won't reach the lower bolts. be sure you have it, or hacksaw through a 17mm socket to reach the bolts.

regards
zp
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the anwers

That is quite a list of things I need for the project. I have just changed the waterpump and cam belts, that's what's so damn annoying. Had I only knew I would have changed the head gasket as well.
zp, the tool you are referring to, is it absolutely crucial? And how much would you believe it costs?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The tool isnt essential, as you could probably make an equivalent. However it makes it far easier. The biggest problem isn the cost (cannot remember for certain but under £20), but that it takes ages them to come through. I ordered this tool, plus the equivalent for the 16V engine and also the tool to lock the cams on a 16V and it was over a year before all three had arrived

All the best

Keith
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket change Reply with quote

Which 33 are asking about?

micap wrote:
Hello folks

I have to change one of my head gaskets, but was wondering exactly what parts would be needed. A head gasket of course, but what else?

zp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: re : tool Reply with quote

hi

i suspect you can do without the tool (for example, with a normal wrench, doing an angular tightening instead of a torque tightening) but as said, it makes the job far much easier.
the cost of the tool is 18.4 euros and the dealer was able to order it within a week.
it's a must have for any 33ist...

good luck with your gasket
regards
zp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those tools. Btw, the car is a 89 1,7 QV, but with 1,5 heads for some strange reason.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you click on the icon at the top of a spanner (yes I know I cannot draw) then there is a list of Alfa special tool for the 33, along with the part numbers. On there is a link to a photo of the cylinder head tool

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: