Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

All Sorts of Work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Front Suspension Reply with quote

Front OS strut is now off and the upper retainer is in quite poor condition, I've only just taken it apart so photo's will have to wait until tomorrow but the upper retainer is heavily rusted, I would estimate its lost a 3rd of the metal thickness is not half.

I'll speak with the Alfashop guys tomorrow to see if they have new ones but my guess is no. Sad

Anyway the springs actually are the least corroded bit, I can't tell if they are OEM but they are the same height as the 35mm lowered OMP replacements I have bought so either the aren't or they've compressed with age. They certainly feel weaker than the new OMP springs as I can compress them with hand strength a bit where the OMP's are rock hard.

The shock absorber seems in poor condition as well, the piston just sinks into the body of the shock with no force require and is just as easily pulled back up, I know hydraulics behave differently under quick force but this one seems shot, it offers virtually no resistance. Trouble is my 33 has a 3 bolt strut and those bits aren't as easy to come by as the 4 bolt ones! Sad
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Availability of 3 bolt struts is bad Arthur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: What's missing and how important is it Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone will appreciate the small distraction of trying to spot what is missing in this picture, no doubt it won't take you eagle eyes very long.

Real question is how important is it?

BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnet he he.
No air filter Smile
If you don't mind stripping down your engine, honing bores and replacing piston rings then it’s not important Smile
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Bonnet he he.
No air filter Smile
If you don't mind stripping down your engine, honing bores and replacing piston rings then it’s not important Smile

Don't really fancy that, I was thinking of installing this one:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder.aspx?CategoryID=1129&SEName=induction-kits-kn-typhoon-metal#results, but it only says for 16v engines and the guys at Opie didn't know/have any info as to whether it's ok for 8v, can't see why it wouldn't be?

Any suggestions/recommendations alternatives?
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Imola came with a Greeen filter, similar to the K&N ones.
http://www.greenfilters.com/

I don't care for the noise it makes, although I suppose some may like it Smile

Mine is not like the pictures on the Green site. It is cone shaped and has the element inside a naff black plastic housing made to look like carbon fibre laminate. In the same class as headlight eyebrows and Alfa logo valve caps Rolling Eyes

The Trofeo has the correct filter, same element as the Sprint.

Green, and I believe K&N also make elements for the standard filter.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Our Imola came with a Greeen filter, similar to the K&N ones.
http://www.greenfilters.com/

I don't care for the noise it makes, although I suppose some may like it Smile

Mine is not like the pictures on the Green site. It is cone shaped and has the element inside a naff black plastic housing made to look like carbon fibre laminate. In the same class as headlight eyebrows and Alfa logo valve caps Rolling Eyes

The Trofeo has the correct filter, same element as the Sprint.

Green, and I believe K&N also make elements for the standard filter.

Green Filters seem quite expensive and same issue all for 16v engines rather than 8v though I wonder if that makes a difference?

I'm not sure what the OEM looks like as it's no longer there and I can't just replace the filter (the reason for looking at the K&N option), does someone have a picture of what I should be looking for?
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rflower
This is probably a cda / bmc air filter http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp
and is one of the better / more expensive ones.
It works like an original, as in it encloses the filter and stops hot air getting in = more power.

Alfa Racer
There are 2 schools of thought on this subject
1 original air box with panel filter = cool air = more power
2 cone filter = air in engine bay getting sucked in = warm air = loss of power.

The one Rflower has a cone filter inside. If you are going to be racing and not sitting still and getting engine heat soak you should be ok.
The size of the filter shouldn't matter, as in 8v or 16v, the filters are designed to flow a certain amount of air = a certain amount of BHP.
There are other things that can be done to help cool air intake, ram air, bonnet vents, having the rubber between the bonnet and engine bay removed and putting bonnet rests near the lock and moving the lock upwards, so the bonnet doesn't close, allowing air to escape out the top as you drive.

What are you planning to do?
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6258

If i could afford it i would get the cda one or a K&N panel filter and get a larger bore pipe to the front of the car.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Rflower
This is probably a cda / bmc air filter http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp
It works like an original, as in it encloses the filter and stops hot air getting in = more power.

Alfa Racer
There are 2 schools of thought on this subject
1 original air box with panel filter = cool air = more power
2 cone filter = air in engine bay getting sucked in = warm air = loss of power.

The one Rflower has a cone filter inside. If you are going to be racing and not sitting still and getting engine heat soak you should be ok.
The size of the filter shouldn't matter, as in 8v or 16v, the filters are designed to flow a certain amount of air = a certain amount of BHP.
There are other things that can be done to help cool air intake, ram air, bonnet vents, having the rubber between the bonnet and engine bay removed and putting bonnet rests near the lock and moving the lock upwards, so the bonnet doesn't close, allowing air to escape out the top as you drive.

What are you planning to do?

Big Al,

I'm a newbie at this racing lark! The car however isn't, it will never be anything other than a track car, all stripped and lightened.

My aim is to get it ready for a track day or two this year to see what it needs etc.

At the moment I'm working on fixing the suspension, (the springs and shocks are knackered), the fuel tank leaks (but soon won't) and the timing belt, water pump, fuel filter etc. want changing. After that I'll have the confidence to take it onto the track to see how she goes.

In the meantime I'm finding bits that are missing or where removed, the airfilter appears to be yet another item.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:

If i could afford it i would get the cda one or a K&N panel filter and get a larger bore pipe to the front of the car.

Ok so it looks like I'm missing the piece between the cone filter and the black plastic tube.

Anyone got one of those? (Cheap) Smile
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alfa Racer"]
BigAl wrote:

Ok so it looks like I'm missing the piece between the cone filter and the black plastic tube.

The "missing piece" is the air flow meter (also incorporating the ECU) for the Bosch LE3 Jetronic system. Your car wouldn't run without it!

I think your car probably has Bosch MP3.1 system, which does not have an AFM.

In which case you are just missing the air filter assembly and the short rubber bellows pipe connecting it to the black plastic pipe.

Possibly a previous owner had an aftermarket filter fitted to the black pipe, which he removed when he sold the car. I hope it was not driven too much without a filter!
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Rflower

It has "GREEN" moulded into the housing, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion they made it Very Happy

It takes hot air from the side of the engine, so any air flow advantage is probably nullified. Some think it looks pretty Sad

In France modifying cars mechanically is illegal, so "le tuning" consists of adding mainly useless decoration, from pretty blue lights to flame transfers on the sides. Rolling Eyes
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:
BigAl wrote:

Actually I don't think I am missing an air flow meter/sensor, I've just checked the Alfa Resto site and had a look at the pictures of the late 1.7 IEs and they have the Bosch Motronic MP3.2 system that didn't use an airflow meter/sensor.

So looks like if I can find an 8v K&N filter kit that should go straight on. Smile
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... no airflow meter on the mp system. Instead it measures the drop in pressure in the intake manifold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RFlower"]
Alfa Racer wrote:
BigAl wrote:

The "missing piece" is the air flow meter (also incorporating the ECU) for the Bosch LE3 Jetronic system. Your car wouldn't run without it!

I think your car probably has Bosch MP3.1 system, which does not have an AFM.

In which case you are just missing the air filter assembly and the short rubber bellows pipe connecting it to the black plastic pipe.

Possibly a previous owner had an aftermarket filter fitted to the black pipe, which he removed when he sold the car. I hope it was not driven too much without a filter!

Sorry missed your earlier post with this. Not sure how long it was run without a filter, and probably never will. Sad
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
Availability of 3 bolt struts is bad Arthur.

Not bad Bob, non-existent!

I've removed both struts and it would be very kind to describe the shocks and top mounts condition as poor. I may have to just clean the top mounts up as best I can, no one seems to have them, whole struts or even just the inserts! Sad

As for the shocks the whole assembly is currently with Alfaman in Harrow. He has a couple of used Koni inserts (can't find any new ones anywhere) unfortunately one is Red the other Yellow but if it comes to it thats what I'll have to go with temporarily.

Eddie will also weld a bit of pipe to the bottom of the strut so the new OMP lowered springs will fit in tightly, apparently it's something he used to do regularly on 33 racers when there were considerably more about. Anyone else tried something similiar?

He also used to strap the back axle, I'd have him do that for me but it would be way too much hassle for me to get the car into Harrow from where I live as it would need to be trailered.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alfa Racer

There are plenty of 1.3/1.4's around in France, so there should be used 3-bolt struts and parts for them available.
Complete struts (amortisseurs) are available from www.oscaro.com
I can't tell from the site which are 3- or 4-bolt struts. The pairs of Koni units listed for 33 Type 907 1.7 ie are part number 86-2448 Sport. Maybe you could check elsewhere if this is correct for your car.
I'm not sure of the difference, if any, between the strut assemblies themselves for the different mount systems.
I have a spare car with 3-bolt struts, but if I remove the suspension I won't be able to move it any more!
The chassis is deformed slightly in 4 places due to skidding sideways over a kerb, everything else is perfect, but not worth repairing.

Dick

EDIT: Koni P/No 86-2448 Sport is listed for my 1.7 ie, which has 4-bolt strut mountings, and also for my 1.3/1.4 ie's which have 3-bolt mountings.
I don't know whether this is because the struts themselves are the same for both, with different mounting methods, or if Oscaro's site is wrong (wouldn't be the first time).
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Hi Alfa Racer

There are plenty of 1.3/1.4's around in France, so there should be used 3-bolt struts and parts for them available.
I can't tell from the site which are 3- or 4-bolt struts. The pairs of Koni units listed for 33 Type 907 1.7 ie are part number 86-2448 Sport. Maybe you could check elsewhere if this is correct for your car.
I'm not sure of the difference, if any, between the strut assemblies themselves for the different mount systems.
I have a spare car with 3-bolt struts, but if I remove the suspension I won't be able to move it any more!
The chassis is deformed slightly in 4 places due to skidding sideways over a kerb, everything else is perfect, but not worth repairing.

Dick

Dick,

Thanks for this I wish I had better French, hell I wish I had any!

It looks like what I need (although all the top mount pictures are 4 bolt) but just can't tell what I'm getting, it looks like 4 Koni shocks plus springs for €284 can that be right?

Given your location would you be able to write to them to confirm if it's 3 or 4 bolt & what is included. Apologies I'd do it myself if I could actually speak or write any French.

Arthur
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Hi Alfa Racer

Dick

EDIT: Koni P/No 86-2448 Sport is listed for my 1.7 ie, which has 4-bolt strut mountings, and also for my 1.3/1.4 ie's which have 3-bolt mountings.
I don't know whether this is because the struts themselves are the same for both, with different mounting methods, or if Oscaro's site is wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

No pretty much everything about the 3 vs 4 bolt strut is different or so all the garages and suppliers keep telling me.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arthur,
If you send me a land line phone number by PM I'll give you a ring later (I have free calls to land lines), if you tell me a suitable time in an hour or two.
The Koni pair on Oscaro site is just the shock assembly, no springs or mountings.
I'm going check drawings to see what the differences are in the actual shock assembly when I have finished a job I’m doing.
I have both types on cars I have here, but it's too difficult to see under the front wing, and I have not removed the struts on either of the 1.4’s.
I do know the support bearing is at the top on the 3-bolt type, so the whole assembly, with the spring, turns, whereas on the 4-bolt type the bearing is under the lower spring pan and only the shock turns, within the spring, which is fixed.
I just looked again at the Oscaro site. For the single units, left or right, the Sachs front right (Part No 170 477) says “from 02/93” and the Gabriel front right (Part No G35161) says “up to 01/1993”.
So I’m pretty sure that the design change was Feb 1993, so that the Sachs is for 3-bolt mounting.
I called Oscaro, the correct Koni front set for my 3-bolt cars is Koni 862417, (from chassis number 525**** on for 1.4’s), I can check by your 1.7 chassis number, but it may not be listed in France. That is a 3-bolt mounting assemble and they are all the same. Price is 281.97 Euros the pair. They should be the ones you need.
I have also decided that I could sell the complete strut assemblies with springs and top mountings etc. plus anything else you want from my busted Imola (Sporty Green air filter?).
The Imola has 82,000 miles on it, the front shocks are OK, the gaiters have splits and need replacing,.
I also have some lowered springs I removed from my 1.7 when I replaced them with originals.
I realised I can still move the car around with the front suspension removed by using my 5 ton hydraulic lift pallet trolley under the front end. (I keep meaning to get a trolley jack!)

Dick
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Getting Rid of the Rust Reply with quote

With the strut out of the way (and currently languishing at Alfaman for lack of parts), I'm tidying up the rust before it gets serious enough to do some real damage.

The car no longer has it's wheel arch liners, again to save weight so it's easy to see what's going on. I've noticed that mastic appears to have been liberally applied over the seams and then spray painted. This mastic is a magnet for mosture and if there is rust anywhere it's likely to be under the mastic so I'm having to peel that off to clean up the rust, pain because it isn't the easiest stuff to come off, but if I don't do something about it now I won't have a car left!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a closeup of the engine bay following the discussion about air filters, I've got a suspision that the one in this car was removed because it was fouling the oil cooler, but I can't say for sure.

If it does fit it should receive cool air because the bonnet has an air intake just over the spot and the leading edge has also has cutouts to let additional cool air in. It's not pretty but it is lightweight, once everything is all back together and running I'll probably have it painted.

Last edited by Alfa Racer on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur:

Pic of the Green filter in my Imola.

It is a push fit over the original plastic inlet pipe, sealed with a smear of mastic. Its support bracket is clamped to the black tube with 2 hose clamps.

You could probably find a different position if your oil cooler is in the way.

As you said, your cooler is taking the place of the original filter box.

Incidentally, in your photo it looks like there is a hose connected to the black plastic air inlet pipe? The only connection on mine is the cable for the air flow sensor, just visible on the RHS of the picture.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Arthur:

It is a push fit over the original plastic inlet pipe, sealed with a smear of mastic. Its support bracket is clamped to the black tube with 2 hose clamps.

You could probably find a different position if your oil cooler is in the way.

As you said, your cooler is taking the place of the original filter box.

Incidentally, in your photo it looks like there is a hose connected to the black plastic air inlet pipe? The only connection on mine is the cable for the air flow sensor, just visible on the RHS of the picture.

Dick,

I've expanded my photo so it's easier to see but yes there is a pipe coming off mine. It's a 1.7 IE 8v engine.

To be honest I'm not sure if that is an oil cooler, it's what the seller said it was but thinking about it, shouldn't it just look like a mini radiator and why only one hose coming off it? Shouldn't there be a supply and return?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: