A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

All Sorts of Work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:

I've expanded my photo so it's easier to see but yes there is a pipe coming off mine. It's a 1.7 IE 8v engine.?

The pipe from that point on the inlet manifold of my 1.7 ie (LE3 Jetronic system) goes to the "Extra (or Auxiliary) Air Solenoid Valve". I suppose yours goes to something similar. No connection there on the 1.4's.

Alfa Racer wrote:
To be honest I'm not sure if that is an oil cooler, it's what the seller said it was but thinking about it, shouldn't it just look like a mini radiator and why only one hose coming off it? Shouldn't there be a supply and return?

An aircooled oil cooler looks like a little radiator, but yours could be liquid cooled, using the engine cooling system liquid. This would of course need supply and return pipes for the coolant plus supply and return for the oil.

The pipe from your cooler in the picture seems to be connected to the oil filler neck, suggesting it is not under pressure - maybe only cooling bypassed oil?
Oil coolers which I have seen cool pressurised oil before it goes through the oil filter. They are connected to an adapter fitted under the oil filter, or are self contained watercooled units which screw onto the oil filter mounting, with the filter screwed on the top.

Could your box be a dry sump oil tank by any chance?
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Alfa Racer wrote:

I've expanded my photo so it's easier to see but yes there is a pipe coming off mine. It's a 1.7 IE 8v engine.?

The pipe from that point on the inlet manifold of my 1.7 ie (LE3 Jetronic system) goes to the "Extra (or Auxiliary) Air Solenoid Valve". I suppose yours goes to something similar. No connection there on the 1.4's.

Alfa Racer wrote:
To be honest I'm not sure if that is an oil cooler, it's what the seller said it was but thinking about it, shouldn't it just look like a mini radiator and why only one hose coming off it? Shouldn't there be a supply and return?

An aircooled oil cooler looks like a little radiator, but yours could be liquid cooled, using the engine cooling system liquid. This would of course need supply and return pipes for the coolant plus supply and return for the oil.

The pipe from your cooler in the picture seems to be connected to the oil filler neck, suggesting it is not under pressure - maybe only cooling bypassed oil?
Oil coolers which I have seen cool pressurised oil before it goes through the oil filter. They are connected to an adapter fitted under the oil filter, or are self contained watercooled units which screw onto the oil filter mounting, with the filter screwed on the top.

Could your box be a dry sump oil tank by any chance?

Dick,

I think you might be onto something there, what I'm not sure of is why one of the pipes is capped off? I would have thought both should have been connected!

Arthur
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like an unfinished project, one that didn't work, or the seller removed something he wanted to hang on to. It's certainly not doing anything but taking up space right now.

Me, I'd just remove it and put it aside. Then chuck it in a couple of years because it's in the way. Very Happy
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a little progress on the Racer, I've cleaned up, treated and painted the OSF wheel well with POR 15 so that should take care of the rust. If I had the time and wanted to waste some very expensive paint I could do the entire inside of the wheel well and it might even look nice, but since no one is likely to have a look in there I'll leave it.

Graham Eddy in Penzance had some used 3 bolt front struts and I've bought them to at least keep me going, between what I've bought off him and what I already had I should be able to make up a reasonable pair. Smile

I'm going to send my original strut bodies to GAZ and have them rebuilt and uprated a bit, they also sandblast them so they should look quite tidy and at £75 a side isn't too bad Smile but it will take 3 weeks for the work to be done because of the're so busy. Sad

I have to say I was getting to the point of thinking I'd need to cut my losses and look for something else as no one sells new 3 bolt struts or even makes the inserts, I've spoken to manufacturers and fabricators alike!

Now that I know I won't have to abandon the project (at least not yet) I'm going to order a cambelt kit, water pump etc. and get that going while I wait for the struts to be rebuilt.
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Alfa Shop Goodies Have Arrived Reply with quote

Well a whole box of goodies have just arrived from Alfa Shop;

Cambelt Kit
Water Pump
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Tie Rod ends x 2
Lower Ball Joints x 2

Seeing the new tie rod ends confirms how knackered mine were!

The struts arrived from Graham but one is as badly knackered as my ones so of little use other than to move the car around while the originals are with GAZ being rebuilt. Had to do it though as I need to clear the car off my drive for son's 18th Birthday party, might have the spares done as well at some point so I've got some backups, damn things are as rare as hens teeth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: