Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Moments From Disaster!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Moments From Disaster! Reply with quote

Thought I was going to lose the 33 this morning.
I was at a junction waiting to turn right and I just happened to glance in the mirror.
To my horror there was a skoda approaching my rear at great speed with the nose almost on the deck under heavy braking, the young driver had a look of absolute terror on his face.
I just had time to drop the clutch and shoot forward, looked again and he'd come to rest about 3/4 car lengths past where I had been stopped.
I'm not sure who's ring tightened up the most but I can tell you mine was watertight Rolling Eyes
Lucky I looked in the mirror when I did, in the days before ABS I would of heard him coming.
You could argue that an older car without ABS has a certain safety feature modern cars don't, screeching tyres Wink
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people grab a car and think they have conqured the world with all the electronics and safety systems.

It would only take a few moments to make a mess however. About todays incident the Skoda driver would be shocked for a few seconds whereas if you lost your 33 you would be sorry for ages. All these would have happened because of a careless driver...

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely described Ian. Reminds me of a time when I could see a lorry growing too quickly in my rear view mirror. Very scary Exclamation
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All's well that ends well... Glad to hear the 33 is ok.

I once watched a lorry driver coming up behind me whilst waiting at a busy red light looking at his map/ docket. Didn't think he was gonna stop and he didn't. I was in a 6 month old corsa (work) and got shunted across the junction, fortunately missed by thru traffic. The rear window came in with the force, the stereo shot out and landed on the back seat, and the car repair was about £10 under being a write off.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had someone pull out in front of me on a fast roundabout near here a few months back. I stopped with about an inch to spare. I'm sure if I'd not had the winter tyres on I'd have ploughed into her.

Maybe I'm getting old but when I see young drivers they NEVER seem to have their attention on the road.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyC wrote:
Had someone pull out in front of me on a fast roundabout near here a few months back. I stopped with about an inch to spare. I'm sure if I'd not had the winter tyres on I'd have ploughed into her.

Maybe I'm getting old but when I see young drivers they NEVER seem to have their attention on the road.

This has happened to me twice within the last 5 days, just had a near miss with a distant neighbour.........stupid woman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum