Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16v : problems at low revs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: 16v : problems at low revs Reply with quote

Hi,

Concerning my 1991 Boxer 16v :
at low revs (1000-1500) the engine "stutters" a lot.
When idle, if I press the accelerator very slightly, the engine speeds actually goes DOWN instead of up ! It goes down to approx 500 revs, and will even stall if I don't take my foot off...
Some guy told me my "delco" (?) needed changing because when I press the accelerator the engine does sound a little "phasy". What do you reckon ?
Thanks for any advice.

What's an ECU ? I'm French and not particularly familiar with any mechanical terms...

RickD

rickdangerous16v@hotmail.com
Nikola
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Maybe for me it will be hard to explain this in English. To be as simple as possible your left and right parts of the engine are not equaly adjusted for accelerating. There are screws, standing verticaly near the cylinder intakes, on the levers which actually turn the air admission. From time to time I turn a litle the one on the left hand side, looking from the drivers position in and out untill it gets better.

Still, it has a litle rev drop when I slightly touch the pedal but only some 50 RPM.

Good luck,

Nikola
Lon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It indeed sounds like the synchronisation is gone between the left en right throttle bodies like Nikola explained..

What also can be out of sync is the vacuum of all 4 of the cylinders.. On each throttle body you see 2 screws ( or 2 black plastic caps of about 4mm small ) just above the injector. Next to it you see a hollow blot ( on which you can place a vacuum tester )..
All 4 must have exactly the same vacuum pressure!!

If you like to experiment, you can experiment with the pressure to tune your engine a bit..

Alfa 33 1.7 S 16v QV '92
RickD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Thank you for the tips Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info, guys !
I'll try it out and let you know what happened.

Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: