Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

carb question

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: carb question Reply with quote

Hi !

I have a question. When you tighten the mixture screw on the IDF carbs do you allow more mixture to the engine or less?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TimoJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Mixture Reply with quote

Hi

Closing screw --> weaker mixture. Correct mixture is usually between 2 and 3 turns open. Be careful when screwing in to avoid damage -- no force when the screw stops.

Hope this helps

TimoJ

btw, are carbs getting rare here, cause no answers?
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. It helped.

My mixture screw is about 4 turns out. If I screw it from that position the engine starts to run worse.
I've read about the carbs on the 33's and I saw that 36 IDF is a standard carb for the 1.3 liter engine. Mine has a 40 IDF with 28 mm venturis. I guess more air needs more fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latter cars went to 40 IDF but main venturi remains the same, so quantity of air is probably about the same as before. By the way, more of us have carbs but some of us just forgot which way around it was! Thankfully Timo remembered.
TimoJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Butterflies Reply with quote

Hi

Do You have the carbs othervice set u properly? The butterflies should be closed or veery near closed. If You have to adjust mixture 4 turns open, it seems to me that the mechanics of the throttlelinkage are not in correct position, ie. crossed somehow.
Check to see if effects. If they are balanced, the engine does not shake at all.

Any opinions?

TimoJ 1,5ti
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi

Do You have the carbs othervice set u properly? The butterflies should be closed or veery near closed. If You have to adjust mixture 4 turns open, it seems to me that the mechanics of the throttlelinkage are not in correct position, ie. crossed somehow.
Check to see if effects. If they are balanced, the engine does not shake at all.

Any opinions?

I've overhauled the carbs before tuning them. I've checked the butterfly's and they close prefectly. My idle screw is about 1/4 turn in. I also have a vacuum meter and the flow on all carbs is equal with all air bypass screws closed. The engine shakes a bit when it is cold (water temp about 40 °C).

How do I check the throttlelinkage position?
TimoJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Linkage Reply with quote

Hi

As you have measured the airflow and checked the butterflies, the carbs are in balance. Those linkages effect only when pushing pedal slightly. Look behind carbs, there is adjusting screws in linkage. There should be 1mm gap under the screw-- to avoid linkage pressing the throttle open.

I suppose You know this because of all tinkering done Wink

Maybe exhaust test could tell the mixture for sure?

Suggestions?

TimoJ
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi

As you have measured the airflow and checked the butterflies, the carbs are in balance. Those linkages effect only when pushing pedal slightly. Look behind carbs, there is adjusting screws in linkage. There should be 1mm gap under the screw-- to avoid linkage pressing the throttle open.

I suppose You know this because of all tinkering done

Maybe exhaust test could tell the mixture for sure?

Suggestions?

Hi!

I've checked the gap when I was putting the carbs back on the engine.

The exhaust test tell's me the the mixture is little rich (about 5 % CO and it should be 3.5% CO) but if I lean the mixture, the engine runs worse.

Generally the engine is in very good condition. I't has only about 100.000 km (60.000 miles). I've put new plugs (Lodge 25HL), new rotor arm and distributor cap. The ignition is set about 9° advance.
TimoJ

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: carbies Reply with quote

Hi Neo

Did You find solution?

TimoJ
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
Closing screw --> weaker mixture.

Hi!

That is not correct for my carbs. I have 40 IDF. I've fixed the car and now has about 2.5 % CO (limit is 3.5%) and consumes about 9.5 liter for 100 km urban cycle.

When the mixture screw is totally tighten the mixture is closed. When you slightly open the screw then you have full rich mixture. The more you unscrew the leaner the mixture is becasue less fuel comes to the engine.
My screw is turned out about 5 turns. The car doesnt shake anymore, it accelerates without any gaps, and the fuel economy is much better.
It doesnt pop on the exhaust anymore when going downhill.

Neo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum