Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Colombo & Bariani Camshafts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Colombo & Bariani Camshafts Reply with quote

Hey guys

Has anyone tried Colombo+Bariani`s camshafts for 1,7 16v???
anyone knows their price new?

I found one set at a garaze and the guy is willining to part with them plus an custom made ECU , plus many other bits and parts, PLUS INSTALATION on my 33 1,7S 16V for 900euros...

Think i should nail em??

P.S. The ecu removes the rev killer and the engive revs up to 9200+ (that translates to 180klm/h or 109 mls/h in 3gear) Shocked

a 33 1.7 16V + T4 + too many things to list - 1****eu = 350hp and many many people wondering why a 360 modena can`t shake off that weird looking, 17" rimmed, red, 11 year old bucket

Last edited by Daimon7 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: camshafts Reply with quote

I consider it a reasonable price, friend of mine got his E36 318iS 'camshafted' and calibrated for the camshafts and cost him 1250€. But be sure that the guy delivers the car tunded in a good way and if possible with a BHP-Torque test on the roll bench with it. So you are sure that you don't have to return 20 times because of poor running in some revs, drinking like hell (the car) and other inconveniences you don't want.

Regards!

Paul D.
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

I have full confidence on his mechanic skills as he has been working (and racing) Alfa romeo`s since 1964. His private car is a 1988 QV.

I`m more worried about the price he`s suggesting, though 900e isn`t that much i still mind parting with them...

He`s offering an oil gasket upgrade to 6lt, plus valve/spring/tapper replase/rebuild work, plus the ecu, plus camshaft belts, plus intake readjustments... and ofcourse the cams

a 33 1.7 16V + T4 + too many things to list - 1****eu = 350hp and many many people wondering why a 360 modena can`t shake off that weird looking, 17" rimmed, red, 11 year old bucket
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: If he promises you all that Reply with quote

I'd go for it, really cheap if he put's all the necessary parts and work in the engine. Off course be sure that he doesn't come with a bill twice the price bit later.
And in the first place, you'll have to want a racing engine in your 33 (who doesn't). As average daily use it's great fun but bit expensive offcourse. I'm interested on what's going to happen with the engine. Keep me informed if possible Wink

regards!

Paul D.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Colombo & Bariani Camshafts Reply with quote

Daimon7 wrote:
Hey guys

Has anyone tried Colombo+Bariani`s camshafts for 1,7 16v???
anyone knows their price new?

I found one set at a garaze and the guy is willining to part with them plus an custom made ECU , plus many other bits and parts, PLUS INSTALATION on my 33 1,7S 16V for 900euros...

Think i should nail em??

P.S. The ecu removes the rev killer and the engive revs up to 9200+ (that translates to 180klm/h or 109 mls/h in 3gear) Shocked

C & B screwed me up big time. Sold me cams and insisted that they were drop in. BS!! Cams self destruct and they pusehed the blame to me not changing tappets! Spent a fortune on tappets and bought another set, engine blew because oil pressure was low. Found an original pair of QV cams, dropped it in and problems were all over. C & B. Cock and Bullshit! Paid for two set of cams, got me nothing. Had to pay for another engine! I asked specifically if mechanical tappets were required and they said they are only for race cams with higher lift.
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Still trying to put aside the cash for the cams.... i`m half way there Rolling Eyes

Serpent this mechanic is considered the second best around my parts (Thessaloniki about 1,5 million people Exclamation ) and has already informed me that the tappets are going to be thouroughly inspected/replased, the camshaft belt will be replaced with another upgaded one (not the vernier wheels though) and that the "oil pan" is also going to be replaced with a bigger one (wider not lower) to fit 7 lts of oil. I was considering an oil cooler and a pump but the cost is forbiding (if any one could spare those 2 of an Intergralle i would be gratefull Laughing Laughing )

The only thing that worries me is if the connecting rod and the pistons can stand the pressure of revving over 9000 rpm. Then i say "what the heck" i`ll just keep it under 8500 rpm untill i can afford forged ones Wink

Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daimon7 wrote:
Hi

Still trying to put aside the cash for the cams.... i`m half way there Rolling Eyes

Serpent this mechanic is considered the second best around my parts (Thessaloniki about 1,5 million people Exclamation ) and has already informed me that the tappets are going to be thouroughly inspected/replased, the camshaft belt will be replaced with another upgaded one (not the vernier wheels though) and that the "oil pan" is also going to be replaced with a bigger one (wider not lower) to fit 7 lts of oil. I was considering an oil cooler and a pump but the cost is forbiding (if any one could spare those 2 of an Intergralle i would be gratefull Laughing Laughing )

The only thing that worries me is if the connecting rod and the pistons can stand the pressure of revving over 9000 rpm. Then i say "what the heck" i`ll just keep it under 8500 rpm untill i can afford forged ones Wink

Just be careful. 16v comes with hydraulic tappets. make sure the clearance from tappet to cam is correct at zero lift. And don't trust those manufacturers. If I had used mechanical shim, I wouldn't be in that shit!
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Serpent i`ll be even more carefull and double check the cams. If you visit C&B site http://www.colombo-bariani.com/listino.html you`ll see that they have 2 sets of camshafts for the 1.7 16V

33 - 145/146 16v

10.3 9.7 280° / 268° - 112° 32°-68° / 66°-22° 1.9 / 0.9 P.I. AS16.103.280 S

10.9 10.3 304° / 286° - 105° 47°-77° / 73°-33° 4.3 / 2.5 40 / 45 AS16.109.304 C *9*

The *9* in the second set is a note that specifies that mechanic tappets are required (*9- Punterie Meccaniche)

So the first time, they must have brought you the second set (by accident????) and when the shit did hit the fan they pushed the blame to you Evil or Very Mad ,
and i don`t know what went wrong the second time, but i guess if the bloody dopes cant even read right, how could they set up an engine right??
On the camshaft codes S stands for Sport and C for Competition
maybe they fucked that up...

How much did you buy the cams for??

Still sorry for your money loss and the poor 16V engine "Dear Lord may it rest in pieces" Rolling Eyes

Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: serpent 333 Reply with quote

It's 8v engine. Now back to stock QV cams, My car never sounded better. Yes I've read that link before and they are the one that require no mechanical shim. The 16v competition cams they sell do come with the shims, making me trusted them even more. Good luck and let me know how it fares.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum