Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

KONI Shocks

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.Camilo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: KONI Shocks Reply with quote

Hi all.

My 16v, failled the IPO (The portuguese MOT). The front left damper is loosing is fluid. Crying or Very sad
So, im thinking to put KONI on all corners. Smile The rear shocks, are easy to do (I`ve done them already on my 89 1.5 TI) but the front ones are scaring me... Rolling Eyes
After removing the springs, the shock must be drilled (on the bottom) and cut (on top). Embarassed
My questions are this:
-Is the screw on the bottom, the only "locking mechanism" for the shock?? Confused Shocked
-It doesnt have also an nut on the top?? Confused
-Where exactly do i cut the top of the strut?? Rolling Eyes

I need your help
Thanks in advance
Paulo Camilo (Portugal)
92 Boxer 16v QV
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....

Don't you just buy a 'whole' strut?!?!

What's this "cutting"?

Rob
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front koni shocks are inserted in the old shocks.Mine had yellow Koni in the old shocks ,but the new ones i put were from the 16v ,harder than the ones 1.4 IE uses.But the conversion is better to be handled by someone expirienced coz shocks are hazardus when drilled (gas under pressure).
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Being in your position I would not attempt to "convert the struts" for inserts - first of all mind the danger your may have by holding your life in a bottom nut Shocked
Second Imagine the high pressure gas and oil escaping from the cut you make... Shocked Shocked
Stick to the original ones - I was quoted for the original BOGE ones (all around) that 1.4 IE uses at the price of 392€ which probably I will replace when spring comes so that I am able to work in my house without needing to wear coat ... Smile

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Where is your sense of adventure Reply with quote

Have we all gone a bit soft or something? Surely the idea of angle grinding and welding bits for our Alfas should excite, not scare us. Twisted Evil

The process is a little tricky, but nothing too nasty. My advice would be to buy some second hand front struts, and convert these to koni inserts. That way you can still use your car as normal, even if you make a mess of the koni conversion.

In your particular case, chuck the one second hand strut on your car temporarily to get the IPO pass, and then work on converting the two struts you have left into Koni converts. This will leave you with two koni modified struts and two working struts, which you can sell pretty much for what you paid for them!!

If you are nervous about doing it yourself, you would be able to find someone to fit the konis to your struts for you, for not too much money. It is perhaps 1-1.5hrs a strut max, less if you have done it before. With buying spare struts to work on, it will take the pressure off to get it right first time, as your car can still be used to get to a garage/friends/pub for when you need any extra help!!! Very Happy

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the conversion myself. Biggest hassle was refitting the strut and getting everything lined up to refit the 4 bolts at the bottom of the strut.

The bolt at the bottom of the strut holding the insert in is done up very tight. Approximately same torque as wheel nuts, from memory. You also have a locking washer.

The inserts come with a guide on how to fit them to the strut housing. Basically once disassembled you drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut in the centre, then drain the oil, cut the top off the strut, above where the spring pan sits, remove the piston and drill a larger hole in the bottom for the bolt to hold the insert in place.

You will need spring compressors, torque wrench, ball joint splitter, hack saw or angle grinder (I used a hack saw, no sparks that way)

Also if you are going to do this, replace the bearings and the top mount and possibly the gator.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: