Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

BMW 635csi

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: BMW 635csi Reply with quote

Finally got a shot of one of me m8's BMW 635csi 1986 Twisted Evil mint (he paid £4.5k last year, mind they were about 50k back in the 80's new) with chrome spats totally rebushed four years ago etc it even has that 'new car smell' and it's 17 years old.

0-60 7 seconds ish but it doesn't stop going till about 120mph (150 restricted top speed) the acceleration is relentless (4 speed auto box with eco, normal and sport settings). Don't get me wrong on the twisties it would be hard pressed to keep up with a 33 but on the straight 'awesome' (and it's not very often I use this word). Kick down at 60mph in the dry and the rear end squeals like a torsen diffed pig!! (and thats with warm Goodyear F1 17"*225 rubber)

The plus side is that I didn't get hit by anything and nothing went wrong (finally) the only down side is I've discovered a car well worth owning that I am excluded from.

And they are rather large (1500kg) he had to remove the inner course of bricks and fit a lintel above bumper level on his garage so it would fit in!!

Just can't seem to get my head round work today!!
Matt C
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Word describes this oldy but a goldy

Beautiful
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary, you dont own a sheepskin coat and a "Denis Waterman" do you. LOL. Only kidding mate Laughing

Know what you mean though, Im a big Alfa fan, but theres plenty of other gems out there, just a shame I dont have the cash.

Lee
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading through the old posts and came accross this one. Have got to drop my 10 cents (my 2 cents are free). Unless I have something really wrong, that can't be right about your mate's BMW...

I own a 1986, 1.5 litre, 33 QV - and after I first got it I raced a BMW 635 CSI, a beautiful white, restored example, down Sydney's Pacific Highway.

For all it's swoopy looks and 3.5 litre engine, the 2 tonne BMW tank couldn't keep up with my little 33!!

As we pulled up to the next set of lights (shocked) I asked the guy if he was trying. All he could muster up was that his car weighed almost 2 tonnes!

CHeers

Ravi

Looking to upgrade to a 16v?...
LanciaChris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: 635 Reply with quote

Of course, 635s rust a hell of a lot worse than any 33 (bodies not built by bmw, inner wings made of cheese), and between that and the fuel consumption id rather have a 33 anyday.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 635 is the only 'modern-classic' BMW I really like.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravi M8 you live in dream land the 635 obviously didn't want to race as a 1.5 33 might beat it to 30 then it would leave you in a cloud of burn't rubber. GET REAL
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate - I'm not going to have a huge argument over this but i'm certainly not one of these looneys that boast endlessly about their cars - I know it's limitations.

However, FYI - I checked the 635CSI launching times in Classic Car magazines and the quoted time in the back and in the road test is 0-60 mph in 8.3 seconds... for the manual. A far cry from 7 seconds.

Now perhaps the one I raced was out of tune, or it was an auto - or the guy was just a very bad driver - but we hammered it out to about 100km/h or so, and I (only just) was ahead of him. This was also confirmed by the BMW driver.

On paper the 635 should win every time, and top end - there's no competition - but i was just telling the experience I had...

Anyways - love this discussion list.

Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - think I may have sorted this out - apparently there is a big difference between the 635CSI and the M 635CSI which is much faster....

Is your friend's one an M?

Ravi

GaryUK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has a 1.5 33 done 0 - 60 in 7 seconds more like 9+seconds even the 1.7(8v or 16v) struggles to get down to the low 8's. Sick a couple of bags of sugar in the passenger seat and you are talking 10+ seconds with a 1.5.

If you calculate the power to weight ratio with a 635 and a 33 you'd need about 155bhp in the 33 to be a match and then you ain't got anywhere near the torque.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you calculate the power to weight ratio with a 635 and a 33 you'd need about 155bhp in the 33 to be a match and then you ain't got anywhere near the torque.[/quote]

Hi Gary

What about a fiat 500. that would eat 635 for breakfast Wink

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
GaryUK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot digidy dog (or to be pedantic 'grossen wurst') terminal constipation and surely you mean brunch as a 635 is more than what would be considered in polite circles as a 'continental breakfast'.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in dragging against a 635. Twisted Evil
GaryUK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might beat it to 60 but after that no chance their a 150mph autobahn cruiser the pick up at 70 is the sort of acceleration you get with the 33 at 30 and no matter how much power you get in the engine (33) the gearing means that 120 is your top speed with pick up after 80 being slow. The 33 is a back road blaster quick round the twisties trying to out drag a 635 is a pointless and futile excersise with the auto box in sport mode it changes to third at 90
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend drives an '80s 630 coupe with a factory turbo motor out of a 740(can only fit in a left hooker), and when I rode in it the road was wet and at 200Ks he had to feed the power in carefully or it would hang out. I don't think any of our 33s would quite hang in there. He has another motor which he is modifying to get some " decent horsepower" out of. How old is he, 59yrs. Go figure.
Regards Eddie
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about a 1.7 litre with 137bhp and not that much torque. You've no chance against bigger engined cars, especially V6s etc, despite there weight. Still, the 33s aint that slow Very Happy
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum