Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Dipstick reading

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

Hello!

I've sorted out an oil change over the weekend, and although I have one of those "whizz bang" electronic dip sticks, I'm having problems reading the correct oil level.

I pull the dip stick out, wipe the oil off, put it back in, and then try to read the level off. Problem is, oil is found along the entire length of the stick!

Is this normal?!?!? I'm sure the car has slightly less oil than it should have... but how can I really tell?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find one from a non alfa control if you wanna check for sure. Otherwise let it stand and drip out for an hour and return so the stick-pipe has dripped dry
Rob (not ALFA ARNA)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about trying to read the oil level on the whizz-bang dipstick!

Take a wire coathanger and spend 5 minutes bending it into a shape with small offsets corresponding to the MIN and MAX levels, and a big offset at the correct height to give the dipstick the right penetration into the sump. Just keep it loose along with an oil rag in the scuttle compartment beneath the windscreen.

Works a treat, and your new dipstick can even be used in an emergency to open someone else's car when they lock their keys inside, but that's another saga!

Cheers,

Rob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerz guys... I'll try those things, sounds ACE!
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've only got the whizz-bang dipstick (which you can't read the oil level on), how do you know whereabouts the minimum and maximum levels should be marked on your coathanger dipstick?
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whizzbang dipstick has the sensor missing, just 2 wires shorted together. But it does have a MAX mark stamped on. MIN mark should be 32mm below this, according to my Sprint dipstick.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the whizz-bang dipstick is that the oil doesn't show up well on it, not that you can't see the MAX & MIN markings (at least, that's the case with mine). With the coat hanger hi-tech job, the oil level shows up clearly.

Now if only I could get my coolant level sensor to work properly (not enough bouyancy in the float, & can't find any suitable non-absorbent, temperature resistant material to make a new float out of)...

Cheers,

Rob
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: