Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7ie Won't start / runs rough

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie J -OZ

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: 1.7ie Won't start / runs rough Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm having some annoying (and continual) problems with my 33 1.7IE, which seem to be related to rainy or wet weather. Every time the humidity level goes up, the car either won't fire at all (usual) or sometimes it may start after a lot of cranking and then bog down a lot and becomes very sluggish until either the engine bay or the weather warms up. Could it be ignition related, ie coil? Or should I be looking at the ECU, etc.....Help my car return to beloved Very Happy rather than hated Evil or Very Mad !!!

Thanks in advance,

Eddie J - 1989 33 1.7IE

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st thing to look at would be the distributor cap then the leads. Look for marks or cracks on the distributor cab and check for corroded and wet terminals these will cause the behaviour you have described

Good Luck
Eddie J -OZ

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: 1.7ie Won't start / runs rough Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I think this weekend is going to be good weather so I'll have a crack at getting it sorted out once & for all...it's not a bad car when it's going OK!
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, but I bought a new set of rubber seals for around the bonnet.

My car suffered badly from water in the engine compartment, but now there's none!

There are two rubbers, the "U" shaped one and the straight one (for the bulkhead)...

Might be of use.

Bob
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now carry a spray can of WD40 (oil that's good to get rid of moisture) in the car all the time. If my car's been left out in very heavy rain, sometimes water manages to get on the distributor and the car won't start. I spray this in all the distributor cap terminals for the plug leads or wherever it's needed, then I can get the motor running.
Of course, I never had that problem with my previous car (a Mitsubishi of the same year).. Rolling Eyes
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom once had a Citroen AX, and whenever the engine wouldn't start or ran roughly, she sprayed the distributor with WD40..That helped, so I agree with Ben_nz and 10823244! Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum