Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

The perfect launch???

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: The perfect launch??? Reply with quote

I've asked this question before but now i want to ask it again...What do you guys reckon is the perfect launch with the 33??????? There's really many technics in launching... Some rev the car up to 4000-5000 and then just let the clutch...others keep the gear stick on till they feel that they're car wants to go then they take it off..whilst others press the brake and do the same tactic...I personally rev it up to 3000 then press the clutch just till it catches then take off with lifting my foot of the clutch yet at the same time pressing to the max accelaration???What i'm looking for is the best technique with minimal tire spin and maximum launch. Any techniques would be interesting.
Dinko

P.s. The reason im so interested is cuz my mate is going to buy an e30 325 and i just wouldnt bear the fact of loosing to his german sheisse...I've already humiliated his e28 318 and his e30 320 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw off a 316 yesterday with my 1.3 - probably because the BMW is much heavier. I suppose this also explains why you were able to beat the 320.

I highly doubt that you'll be able to beat a 325! It's out of your league with a stock 1.7 ie, but you may surprise us. Laughing
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well had a quick race today with the 325....lost...badly...from launch..BUT i beat him badly on 3rd on the highway...i accelarated from 80-120kms in around 6.5 while it took him 7.5-8.0secs....so i think that in a way that was quite equal...plus....my mate's motor is almost twise the size of mine!!!
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bought my 33 i looked at a e30 325, and I dont think it was any faster than the 33...The e30 had other camshafts, and produced app. 150 ps. Well, of course it was fast, but as you write, the 33 is much faster above 60-70 kmh. I think the rearwheel drive is the main reason for him beating you from launch! Very Happy
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah probably but there has to be some sort of way i can launch well...see udner manual my 33 should go from 0-100 in less then 10 secs
but i cant get it under 10.4...i've tried so many times that i even burnt the clutch....i jsut can't get it under that time...i believe my car is running ok..even though i've been lately getting small backfiring...but still it should go under 10sec...thats why im so interested in launching
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go from 0-100 in app. 9.4 sec, if Im alone in the car! When I start, I put it at 2000-2500 rpm and release the clutch a little bit so it bites, but the car doesn't move. When the green light comes, I push the accelerator to the floor and release the clutch. So pretty much the same as you! If I do it otherwise, the tires will spin. I never go further than a little less than 6000 rpm when accelerating btw.
Well, I know that there is a 1.5 gearbox in mine, so that might be the reason..Unfortunately that means, that I have to use 3rd gear to reach 100 kmh... Rolling Eyes
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to use 3rd gear to reach 100 also otherwise my 2nd hits redline at around 85-90..so i gotta see what's the deal...maybe my car is jsut running bad or something...gotta check..but till then ill jsut settle for over 10secs
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say, that a have a cross-over manifold on mine. That really gives something!! I dont feel it that much now, but just after I fitted it, I could really feel the difference! Just after I fitted it, it was raining a little bit, and the the tires started spinning when I pushed the accelerator in 3rd... Wink And the sound is incredible... Very Happy
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maze123 wrote:
I forgot to say, that a have a cross-over manifold on mine. That really gives something!! I dont feel it that much now, but just after I fitted it, I could really feel the difference! Just after I fitted it, it was raining a little bit, and the the tires started spinning when I pushed the accelerator in 3rd... Wink And the sound is incredible... Very Happy

Damn! I've gotta get one! Smile
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone explain to me what EXACTLY is a cross over manifold and what it does and how it does it...cuz i am really confused about this subject
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course! Very Happy Well, if you look at a normal manifold and a cross-over manifold (I'd wish I could show you some pictures, but I dont know how to do it..), the main difference is, that a normal exhaust-manifold on a 33 is shaped, so the 2 exit-holes on each side of the engine (dont know the english word) are connected, but with a cross-over manifold, it's the front and rear exit-holes which are connected (see picture below). And furthermore, on a cross-over manifold the 2 "main-tubes" are seperated longer than on a normal exhaust manifold. I think it will be easier to understand if you compare the picture below with your own exhaust-manifold.
All this should give a more even flow, and a higher counterpressure which equals power! It has something to do with the ignition, but this also results in more sound, and it's not everybody who likes this..But I do!! Wink
I know, that some 16v are born with a sort of a cross-over manifold, but unfortunately also a catalyst..! I got a P4 from Germany, which originally had a cross-over manifold, but this had been exchanged with a normal exhaust manifold because the former owner didn't want the catalyst. But I dont know if this is the case with all 16v..I dont think so!

Cross-over manifold:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically what I've been told.

Regards
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, if you want me to, I can send you some pictures of what the cross-over manifold looks like on mine...And some pictures of the cross-over manifold from the P4.
ak863

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

however cross-over are really expensive..
i was quoted nearly 300 pounds for a new one...

go for the air filter first (BMC)..
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well under theory if its only the pipe system then can't you make you "own" manifold with some DIY heat pipes?or do u need tó get something else installed? Because i could just combine let's say my old fiat's pipe line with the one in my alfa now, put my old CAT in and have a bigger manifold...or is that just too stupid and cheap?
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimp (dudu) Very Happy - I'll guess that you can make your own..If you have the right tool! Though you must be sure, that the system is completely airtight!!! If it isn't, you will have the opposite effect because you lose some counter pressure. And believe me, just a small leak will give you a bad result. So my suggestion is, buy one instead... Wink
I don’t know where aka863 got that price, but I only paid 2000 dkk (app. 270 Euro/175 £). It is a CSC and I bought it from Gazella Autotech, which has moved from Denmark to England a few months ago. I think I can get their new address if you want it! CSC is a little bit cheaper than Supersprint, but the shape of the manifold is exactly the same!

Regards
ak86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi maze,
my garage suggested 230 pounds without vat.. (170 pounds sounds much better i can say)..

My problem is i wanted to replace the last box of the exhaust and i am looking for the "classic" exhaust with the "two pipes" in the end...
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ak86,

Well, CSC makes rear-silencers with two end-pipes. I have such one too.. Wink I know that Supersprint also does, but they are very hard to find nowadays!! Unless you can find a used one...I paid 1300 ddk (170 Euro/115 £) incl. VAT for the rear-silencer from CSC!

Regards
prauguste
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have literally beat all the competition except Subaru STI. Here is my thrash list.

BMW X5 4.4 - from start, I taught him a lesson.
GTV 2.0 Twin Spark - he had a head start, it was tough but I beat him.

Renault 19 16V - Did not stand a chance.

BMW M3 - I don't think he was racing me but it was so impressive he followed me into petrol station just to look at the car.

I have a gun metal P4 with upgraded breaks (discs all round) and shocks, K&N filter, Sebring free flow muffler set and everything else is pretty standard. Not sure if it has been chipped. I don't usualy race anyone unless someone asks for it. I usually keep the accelerator pressed slightly then release the clutch with accelerator pedal down. The amazing things is that when I let go everyones head turns through shear music of the engine.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... I don't often race on the street, the cops are psychos here, and if you get caught doing whatever the cops even interpret as a race in the least, it's instanst confiscation of your car for 28 days!

So... I ventured out onto the drag strip 3 weeks ago in the Sud, to see how it went.

Track conditions were cold, and therefore VERY slippery, I was launching it at 2000rpm and still getting excessive wheelspin, even through to 2nd gear which gave me shockingly slow 60ft times of 2.6 sec, consistent throughout all of my runs.

Best time of the day saw me end up with a 16.5 @ 83mph, competitive with the late model Jappa 4 cyl FWD's, like Honda Integra's and Toyota Levin/Trueno 20V 1600s.
prauguste
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your Sud but are you actually moving although it does look impressive. I have to say though the P4 does not suffer from wheel spins and in the wet it is unbeatable.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it's jus at the moment of launch... that pics been cropped, so in the whole one you can see the final orange has gone out, and the green hasn't yet illuminated, so the car has just begun to go!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum