Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1994 Mk3 16v AFM or Engine temperature sender?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicko

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: 1994 Mk3 16v AFM or Engine temperature sender? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Wow. Nothing for years and then 2 posts in one day!

I have had this funny problem for years (ever since I bought the car) with my engine; When starting from cold on a hot day the pwoer delivery is slightly strangely (I suspect that the choke is being incorrectly applied) above 2000 rpm until the temp reaches 40 degrees and then the problem disappears and it runs normally.

A few years ago the venerable Chris Notsis suggested a faulty engine temperature sensor, which seemed a good idea, but being a lazy sod and the problem is very minor I did nothing! Wink

I now want to rectify the problem and someone else has suggested cleaning the AFM: I have read today that this procedure can go wrong and so am reluctant to open the AFM as it must be air tight.

So my question to you knowledgeable guys is: what is the current verdict on this problem? Should I start with replacing the temperatre sender or by cracking open the AFM (something I have never done before) or should I be looking at other things first? It is only a minor intermittent problem but I want to sort it out!

Many thanks for your advice in advance

Nick
Tom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicko,

I am sorry I don't have a solution for you. But I think, I have the same problem on my 16V. I wrote it to this discussion five weeks ago and unfortunately did not obtain any suggestion.

I have got this problem for years too. I also know at least three other people to have it and nobody knows what to do.

I don't think, it is caused by AFM - I opened it and checked and it seemed to be OK. I also tried to measure the output voltage of the AFM and it was changing continuously with revs without any "hole".

I also measured the Resistance/Temperature characteristics of the temperature sensor and it was the same as in the datasheet. But maybe it was not good experiment - better would be to exchange the sensor, but I don't have any.

I also tried the ECU blinking test and there was no problem.

Regards

Tom
Nicko
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Tom. I may have to just try and change the sensor merely to find out what happens - I will let you know what happens if I do it!
kind regards
Nicko
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicko,

I have exchanged the temperature sensor and it did not help. Do you have any new experiences?

Regards

Tom
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: