Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Rear Disc Brakes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Rear Disc Brakes Reply with quote

I am looking for information on rear disc brakes for the 33 (front wheel drive). Actually they would be for my 85 Sprint which has the rear suspension from the Series 1 33. I believe that some 16V Series 3 cars had rear disc brakes but the only ones that came to Australia were the P4s. Any information including answers to the following would be appreciated.

Are they available as a kit or only from a Series 3 wreck?

Are the calipers supported off a back plate which fits in the place of the drum brake back plate? If not, how?

Is the hand brake action achieved by a small drum within the disc? Do the standard hand brake cables connect to this?

Where would I find a set and how much would they cost?

Thanks & regards
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Rear brake conversion Reply with quote

I have considered this conversion myself for my '87 Sprint, details of motorsport kit are available here:

http://www.ahmotorsports.co.uk/brkandchassparts.htm

I think that it should also be possible by transferring parts from a model out of the 33 range, no doubt someone will be able to tell you which models. I believe that the handbrake operates on the caliper itself.

I have decided to stick with the drums for the moment as they seem to work OK. I have already changed the front disks to the vented versions from a 16V 33 which has helped, the later 33 ATE calipers are required and they bolt straight on. I also use grooved from disks that help to keep the pad faces in good condition.

Hope that helps a bit.
Chris
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ah motorsport site has just taken me to heaven ive bin tryin to find tunin bits for ages
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Rear Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Thanks Chris

I have sent an email to the motorsport people. I have also been looking into the other Alfa ranges for a little while but there are a lot of variables to check - centre hole diameter, offset, caliper mounting. I am trying to track down some info on the 164 brakes as the larger front discs would also be worth a look at (I am now running 15 inch wheels). If I can get a 4 wheel set off a front wheel drive car that fit, then braking balance should be easier to achieve. We didn't get the 145, 146 or 155 in Australia and there aren't many 147's or 156's in wreckers yards yet. All the 164's in Australia had 5 hole wheel mounting I think but that is not insurmountable (I have just had my hub flanges bored and tapped at 4x100 to make wheel selection and mounting easier).

Regards
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

If you have gone 4 x 100 then you may be better to look at Audi or VW brakes, the G60 Vws had larger 4 x 100 brake disks, at least for the first couple of years. The bolt pattern does not affect caliper selection as such, just the offset of the disk relative to the caliper.

One thing to think about is the fact that Audis and VWs are generally heavier than alfas so you may end up over-braked all round. Also consider relative master cylinder capacities as they will seriously mess with brake-feel.

Regards Chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum