Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

cleaning oil filler cap

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: cleaning oil filler cap Reply with quote

I just took my filler cap off ,courtesy of you guys, to clean the gauze but i\m not too sure what to clean it with. What other solution other than petrol i.e can I use turp
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this gauze present in all 33s?
I couldn't find any gauze down my oil filler pipe, just exhaust fumes. =|
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo the screw inside the filler cap... You'll find the gauze.

Blow it out with compressed air if you have some.

Bob
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also had the filler cap cleaned a few days ago.
The process I followed was:

Unscrewed the bolt in the centre ONLY half way in order not to fall inside. Wink With a piece of wire I wraped around the bolt in order to have it in place; then I unscrewed it fully and I had the bolt hanging like a fish! Cool

Then I cut a plastic water bottle in half filled it with petrol and put in the cap. Waited for half an hour and then with a toothbrush I cleaned the inside and also the small cells that were blocked from oil dirt.
In addition difficult debris was removed using a piece of wire by putting it inside the blocked debris.
Then again a second time washed the cap out with petrol and it turned out like a new one.
Also you may tap it with the hammer on its sides and you 'll see small dirty falling off!

Quite simple procedure which really makes adifference!

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question ;when you take the bolt off the oil filling tube seperates in two parts ?.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct!

On mine the screw is captive, but I did worry about it falling down into the crankcase to begin with! Laughing

I didn't smash mine with a hammer... perhaps I'll try that next time!

Bob.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Yes the tube separates in two - half tube remains in the engine fixed, and you can have the other part on your hand (oil breather)

However the oil breather is a fixed thing which cant be dismantled.

It can only be cleaned.

Regards,

robert
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Same dirty filler tube on my 33.

I have the cleaned the upper-tube, but the lower-tube that goes into the crankcase/block is quite gungy also. Any ideas how I can remove this lower tube for cleaning.

Cheers,

Robert
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower tube can be cleaned as follows :

1. Drain all the oil.
2. Remove the oil sump cover.
3. Pour petrol down the tube (yes, take the breather top off first!)
4. Scrub the inside of the tube using a large 'bottle' cleaner, and an up and down motion.
5. pour more petrol down it.

A. You can clean the oil uptake (vacuum cleaner type thingy) whilst down there.
B. Don't light up!

Rob
robert
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bobbber,

Thanks for the help. Will take the sump cover next oil change.

Cheers,

Robert
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still a bit of a mystery...

a.) Where are all these screws and bits of gauze? There's nothing in the olio filler cap, it's just solid plastic. There's no screws in the filler neck, it doesn't look like it splits into two parts either.
b.) Eww! Why is there all that gungy mayonnaise in there when I took the car for two 50km trips today? It may have built up during short testings when the motor was being installed, so I've cleaned as much as I can reach and I'll see if it comes back. Confused
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... That looks really different to mine!!! (1.7IE series III) :

The screw inside is removed and then the tube splits at the flaired joint :

Yours looks really different Ben! There must be another way yours uses to vent excess crankcase fumes!!!! Anyone?
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see the fumes just go out a tube halfway up the filler neck and get redistributed to the carb air intakes.
There seems to be so much exhaust gas travelling round in there that it couldn't possibly be vented to atmosphere - you'd get smoke coming out from under your bonnet on cold mornings!
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the excess fumes go back into the air intake on the injected models.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Today I had a discussion with my AR spare part dealer about the oil filler cap. The Bosch engines have the metal type cap which as far as Greece is concerned it is no longer available as the Italians do not produce it any more.

In case someone needs to replace it then conversion and pattents must be made in order to fit the cap from the Marelli engines.
This cap is totally different; it is black plastic and it is not held in place by a central bolt in the engine's tube but the cap is being screwed by itself in the engine tube. One can see through it.

So, whoever of us has the Bosch engines, then be sure that it is clean and tidy so that unpleasant surprises won't happen. Wink

Regards,

bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there isn't a reaplcement available anymore.

I'm thinking about drilling out the corrigated filter in the filler cap, and blocking the air intake end of the system.

Then fitting a universal breather to the downpipe on the breather... Has anyone tried this?! Do these little filters allow enough 'breathing'?

Does a little filter like this send oil and stains all over the engine bay?!

Bob.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Probably it would do - it looks a good idea. But why bother so much? Scrapyards will probably have filler caps.

Regards,

Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, the mesh as you describe in the breather pipe is not a filter as such. Its function is to slow the vapour sufficiently for the heavier oil to drop out of suspension from the air thus returning it to the crankcase and clean? air to the outside. Still, cleaning would be important.
Here in NZ I have two S1s, two S2s and a spare and none of them have the two piece filler. Have we been shortchanged? Also none of them have the dashlight dimmer.
Woe and thrice woe, just because we're at the end of the world is no reason for bits to be left off.
Ben. Mayonaise in the filler is not good. It usually results from to much short running or headgasket problems. Clean it out with a rag and monitor closely to see if it reappears. DO NOT INFORM PARENTS. Call me if it does and we will discuss options.
Regards Eddie
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: The issue is down to series... Reply with quote

Series I/II, read carbed models, have the single piece oil filler neck, with the breather returning 'burnable' fumes into the bottom of each of the downdrafts on the carbs.

Series III cars have the removable upper part of the filler, and the extra mesh to encourage as little oil to leave with the fumes. However, there may be some differences in the design of the series III fillers, perhaps two different versions, with the different caps.

Regarding venting it to air, it is a very common mod, especially on modified engines, where the inlet plenum has been revised. This is done for two main reasons:

1) All that gunk going back into your engine is (almost) at random, and can affect the burnabilty of the fuel air mix in the combustion chamber. This can make tuning an engine less precise, especially with carbs.

2) All that gunk tends to coat your inlet tract and back of valves, on the inlet side, which is also not ideal. If you look at the heads on a car that is only 1-2 years old, they can look really gummy inside, and worst ways varnished. This can't be good for injector nossles or anything else really.

Manufacturers routinely burn this vapour, so it doesn't get vented to air, or else they would have to clean it with a cat for emissions purposes. Burning it is easier. However, aftermarket you can get catch tanks, with a small air filter on, which allow droplets to drop out into the catch tank, and the actual air (admitedly with a little oil still in it) to escape to the atmosphere. LLoyd at clovertech does them in black or silver, and can be fitted very easily. It will (slightly) help emissions out of exhaust as you are only burning petrol and air, not heavy oil and diesel like shite.

Admitedly, the final fume filter does let some oil vapour out, but a quick wipe with a rag once a month is generally enough, especially if the tank is located with any care.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What???? Like this :

Very Happy

Bob.
The Spartan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Changing engine oil and transmission oil. Reply with quote

Dear all,

I'm not a mechanic but would like to learn how to do the very basics on my Alfa 33 1.7 IE. Just took my 33 for a major service and next 5,000 kms want to change the engine oil and transmission oil in order to save money & time (mechanics can be quite expensive). Could you guys please tell me how I can do this and what oil products I should purchase. Also, I currently have my mechanic searching for a terrible fuel smell. There are no leaks from the engine lines and now is he taking out back seat to check pipes that run from fuel tank. Any suggestions.

Thanks guys,
The Spartan (aka Louis)
Athens, Greece
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Changing engine oil and transmission oil. Reply with quote

The Spartan wrote:
Dear all,

I'm not a mechanic but would like to learn how to do the very basics on my Alfa 33 1.7 IE. Just took my 33 for a major service and next 5,000 kms want to change the engine oil and transmission oil in order to save money & time (mechanics can be quite expensive). Could you guys please tell me how I can do this and what oil products I should purchase. Also, I currently have my mechanic searching for a terrible fuel smell. There are no leaks from the engine lines and now is he taking out back seat to check pipes that run from fuel tank. Any suggestions.

Thanks guys,
The Spartan (aka Louis)
Athens, Greece

For the fuel smell check the black box that is inside the trank (looking the car from behind in your left hand under the carpet).You just need to install a new one and the smell will stop and you will burn less fuel.
For the oil i use AGIP SINT catalist 10w/40 and for the transmission synthetic oil 75/90 (i think ).
Every one here will be glad to help you.Me and GRITSOP are Greeks .If you want any info feel free to pm me .
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well it seems that more Greeks gather to the best forum of the web for Alfas Exclamation

Louis, this smell is probably to the filter located inside your trunk. It is called fuel vapor separator and its use is to "kill" the vapors and what remains is sent back to the fuel tank. I can guess that your car uses the BOSCH Jetronic LE 3.2 fuel injection system - so check it because these sometimes rust from the inside and a very bad odour of smell gets into the cabin. It is black, mounted in the left side of the wing at the shape of more or less a small brick Wink I have asked and it costs around 10-15€. Also check the rubber boot under the back wing - see my topic http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1568
it can be a cause especially when opening the cap and no hiss is heard.

Talk again soon.

Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to Bobber Reply with quote

Yes, just like that, sort off!!

The filter is the type I'm talking of, but it is mounted onto some sort of metal tank, Lloyd's at clovetech are generally round. These catch any liquids that drop out of the aerosol of fumes, leaving less to vent to air.

Venting direct to air is OK, but more oil makes it onto your engine bay, whereas the catch tank just helps to clean things up a little further, and saves the frequency of wiping the residue off.

Mind you, if you were clever, you would probably route the fumes to the underside of the car, to achieve a Waxoyl effect, whilst you move. Some of the cars I've seen with outrageous oil leaks, usually have the cleanest (well, least rusty) chassis going, once you have wiped the crud off to see it.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Bobber Reply with quote

Matt Stolton wrote:

Mind you, if you were clever, you would probably route the fumes to the underside of the car, to achieve a Waxoyl effect, whilst you move. Some of the cars I've seen with outrageous oil leaks, usually have the cleanest (well, least rusty) chassis going, once you have wiped the crud off to see it.

I would not want to drive behind a car that leaks oil .I'll be covered with oil. Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: