Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

End of my 33 era...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: End of my 33 era... Reply with quote

Oh well... after 4 years faithful service and one engine swap, my beloved 16V Veloce Sportwagon has had its day for me. Not only did it sit on the driveway for 2 months earlier this year due to brake failure, I then had to replace the strut pan bearings at great expense, and now it needs new discs and springs to get through an MOT. Although the amount of work isn't unusual for a car of its age, I've decided if I'm going to spend more time under a car than in it, it's going to be one that's a little faster and more comfortable than the 33.

So this week, god willing, I'm picking up a red N reg Alfa 155 2.0 16V with only 30K on the clock and a rebuilt/reconditioned engine -- mates rates. It flies like a turbocharged bullet and looks sherioushly sheckshy. I always dreamed of a Q4 but let's face it, the chances of me finding a non-thrashed Q4 aren't far off zero. I'll still keep an eye out though...

I'll not do anything to my 33 for now, it's off road and sheltered. It still looks in great condition for its age and has years of life left in it. Eventually I'll be repairing, tidying up and selling it, so I'll see if anyone's interested when it's in ship shape.

I won't forget the 33 in a hurry -- the car's been fun from the word go -- I've had great fun researching and carrying out the 16V conversion especially. It'll help when I stick the turbocharger on the 155 Twisted Evil
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame, but I think I can understand you. Smile
Oh well, as long as you remain in the family! Wink
The 155 seems like a nice car, my father's working on one at the moment. It's stylish, luxurious and spacy. Best of luck to you.
I suppose you will still be hanging out here? Smile
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Indeed a shame, but as Wizz I understand you...I'm about to do a lot of rust-work on mine, and as in your case, I might start looking for some new discs/brakes. I have no idea of what the rust-work will cost, but I'm afraid it's a lot..I will have a mechanic check it underneath to get an app. price of the work that has do be done there. After that it needs new brakes, springs and some rust-work on the chassis. But when it's done, hopefully during this winter, it will be as good as new! Very Happy Well, even better maybe...
Oh, forgot to mention the 16v-project of course, but it's almost done! The engine has almost been rebuilt by now. The only thing missing is the cam-belts. They will be fitted this weekend, and then the engine will be ready! Once I get my old engine out, I will check the gearbox and change some of the synchros and maybe some of the gear wheels too, if they are too worn! Expensive too, but I think is has to be done..

I just saw a REALLY nice 155 today! It would definitely be the model I would choose if I needed a bigger and newer/more comfortable car than the 33. No doubt..
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments. I guess I kinda needed somebody to tell me that doing this wasn't totally nuts.

I've got the car now... what a corker. It's actually RED, not pink like mine! Engine growls like a beast. The drive is so comfortable it's like somebody else is doing the driving! I'll have to get used to this, that's for sure. I'm certainly going to look into chipping it and giving it a kick ass exhaust. The wheels are original 15" stock and look great too so I probably won't look to change them at all. The engine is slightly hesitant at full throttle so probably something needs tweaking/cleaning (any excuse to get it on the rolling road!!). I'll post pictures tomorrow...
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hugh

if you need disks i have some black diamond grooved disks with loads of meet on them and some rear springs.i know what you mean about the 33 but i just cant let go Crying or Very sad . i keep thinking about 146ti but they are so heavy but nice. plus a mate had one with a 200 bhp chip in it from italy as his brother worked for the alfa works team in the 95-96 nice.
well good luck chap

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Shame Reply with quote

Shame about that......as i know where there is a 155 q4,37000 miles on the clock,immaculate inside and out,going for 3 grand Confused
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We have a 155 16v as well. Needed a heavier car to tow a bike trailer and a 155 is cheap.

Driving position is comfy, but it drinks petrol and is not that much fun to drive.

All the best

Keith
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that about the 155 drinking petrol - mine doesn't seem to do that at all. In fact I'm surprised how long a full tank lasts. Maybe it's just that my 33 had totally appalling fuel consumption so I was used to that... Rolling Eyes

You're also right that it's not as much fun to drive. But that's only because it's stock, I think. The kick of the 155bhp output is lessened by the 155's greater weight - so, without question, the thing will have to be superchipped! As johnboy just mentioned, somebody's made a 200bhp chip for this engine - and I'm gonna have it! Twisted Evil
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As johnboy just mentioned, somebody's made a 200bhp chip for this engine - and I'm gonna have it! Twisted Evil[/quote]

Hi hugh

the chip came from italy. but the guy who had it lives here me so i will try and find out if he can get anymore.but i dont want to get your hopes up ok

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes it does go further on a tank of petrol, but then the tank is substantially bigger (~20%). We get around 25mpg in normal use, and I get 28~29mpg from the P4 with the same kind of driving. Only time the 155 does OK is when going slowly towing a trailer.

Not that keen on the handling either, but then it could need new front suspension arms (they last about 40000 miles on the 155).

All the best

Keith
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you should know that no Alfa 155 2.0 16V will better preforme that 33 16V. At least from my expiriance. It is to heavy to do so. But it is more luxuries and spacey for sure. I am sure that in half a year you will miss your 16V.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum