Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Leaking Gearbox

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Leaking Gearbox Reply with quote

Hi,

I've "ovehauled the gear box (replaced 2nd gear) and am now stuck with a gearbox sump that leaks. I've tried a couple of new gaskets, the silicone stuff etc and the drip goes on (and on). Everything was fine prior to my attempt at playing mechanic. The gear box shifts OK, but tends to be like a vagrant dog leaving its calling card all over the place. Any ideas would be gratefully received. I have to try to keep the thing on the road as I've overcapitalised on parts etc lately to keep it on the road. The kms to date is 345,000 and if it wasn't for the engine still going strong and the body being reasonable, it would have gone to the knackers a while ago. THANKS.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I know to do this is make sure both surfaces are absolutely clean - no traces of old gasket, clean with white spirit, and steel cover not distorted or nicked. If cover is at all bent between screw holes (due to levering off) it will never seal unless this is corrected.

I realise this is not easy if the 'box is on the car!

Check the cover for true with a good straight edge, or wet it sparingly with WD40 or similar, lay a sheet of glass on top, and you will see any distortion.

Use a new gasket with a non setting cement like Hylomar, and pull down the screws evenly, working from the middle outwards, a small amount on each one in turn, several times until they are all equally tight. If screws are just tightened fully one at a time there is a good chance of distorting the cover.

Good luck Dick
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from Dick. Hylomar is about the best sealing compound. Silicone on a gasket can allow it to extrude thus giving problems. Do not overtighten the sump bolts.
If the selection is a bit vague then a bushing kit for the linkage can work wonders.
Regards Eddie
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Washers Reply with quote

If I remeber correctly, the washers on the bolts that retain the sump in place, feature one side with groves, and the other a flat surface.

From memory the flat surface goes facing the sump, and the groves face the head of the bolt.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: