Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Is the Series 3 33 any safer in a crash than the series 1-2?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joninaustralia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Is the Series 3 33 any safer in a crash than the series 1-2? Reply with quote

Just wondered if during the dramatic makeover of 33 for the 90's if Alfa added any extra safety features to the 33 - for example better side impact protection bars. I can't find any info on this on the internet. I am currently thinking about getting a Series 3 to replace my 1987 33 and seeing if there is any more reasons why I should! Thanks
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK door bars came few years later then AR33 s3 in 1990.
There are no door bars in 1990-1992 for sure, don't know about 92-94, but my guess is also not.
Italians were allways better at active then passive safety features i.e. handling (they made car for drivnig not crashing).
147 which is latest car where they done all that could on safety, had only 3 stars, and that is only because it was very good in side crash (large number of side airbags), in front crash it was not so good ;(.
front pillar colapsed, wheel and AB moved...

S3 had majority of its chasis zinc protected, so in most cases s3 is better then old rust bucket, with it I'm not saying that yous is one.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same chassis different skin a tinfoil tank.

The 33 would be terrible in a crash as 800kg for a car the size of a 33 means that there ain't much metal involved. The plus side means that the power to weight ratio is fantastic hence it goes like pooh off a cane just don't hit anything.

Plus I recon that the 33 is one of the best if not the best handling cars (on twisty A,B roads) that I have ever driven and I've driven a few. Crap motorway cruiser/round town car though but horses for courses. The huge turning circle is a trade off for good cornering as the lower front suspension arm mounting points are wide apart. This makes it rigid and sure-footed. The torque steer just makes for a more involved and exciting driving experience. I'd rather have torque steer than wheel spin.

The 206/306 are probably better overall but for twisty roads the 33 rules. The 206 doesn't give the feedback the 33 does being a bit 'sterile' and in my opinion is far less compelling drive. I sold the 1.9 GTI I had after about a month as it just didn't have 'it' ('it' does not include build quality or residual value).

For round town/motorway driving I'm well impressed with my good lady's Xantia exceptionally comfortable and they don't roll anything like the old BX's. Sharing the same suspension concept I'd presumed they would I'd have had one sooner if I had known this! I'd recommend one to anyone who has an aptitude for DIY mechanics. The Turbo Diesel engines are refined too. Put's the Vauxhall/Ford diesel blocks to absolute shame.

Wrong post I know but time is short
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well a lot of cars would be jealous of the Sud/33 chassis.

First almost no car has the firewall in the engine compartment. This means that in a front crash the engine/gearbox unit will not enter the passenger compartment since both are hanging from the firewall.
Also there is less prob. that the front bars will be bent if the car is hit from the wing sides as the firewall acts like a compact assembly between the shock absorbers counting points.

Second the fuel tank is located behind the back axle which results in low probablility of explosion if hit from the rear. Nowdays most of the cars follow this exercise of putting the tank behind the axle BUT almost 20 years had to pass in order to follow this. Wink

Hope you agree with my opinion,

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a 33 frontal impact and the peddles where up where the steering wheel used to be, the engine had been pushed into the footwell as the firewall only provides rigidity across the strut mounts it provides very little, no zero protection down at the peddle level where the engine block is.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The 33 is basically a Sud. This is what happened to my better halfs Sud (many years ago) when it went sideways into a lamp post:-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/charlcar.jpg

The series 3 should be marginally better as I understand the sills are somewhat stronger.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum