Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

I bought myself a 33....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: I bought myself a 33.... Reply with quote

Well... I have added a 1985 Alfa 33 QV to the garage (driveway... the Sud gets the garage!).

It cost me... wait for it.... the princely sum of $200 NZD complete with a brand new Warrant of Fitness and registration current until January.

Here's a wee pic...

So yeah.... it's not too bad. The paint is dull and patchy, the bonnet is especially faded, and it has a couple of small red primer patches, not too noticeable. Rust free. 183,000km.

The guy had sold the ROH alloys that it originally had on it, and had chucked a VERY DODGY set of 4x100 PCD Jap car steelies that did not sit properly at all. It rode like it had cam lobes for wheels, and they wobbled. Luckily I had the 13" alloys in the shed, so I caught up with a mate in a tyre shop and he did me a VERY good deal on a pair of near new 13" Falken tyres (how does 20 bucks fitted and balanced sound Razz) and I put two of the 185s off the steels on the alloys. So we now have good wheels.

Engine wise its pretty OK. A 105hp 1500 twin Weber carbed one. Engine has a slight knocking for about 10 secs (if that) on startup, then its quiet as. Gave it the mandatory oil/filter/coolant/plugs etc. change and it runs fine. I think the timing needs surveying... it's detonating a bit on 96 octane gas. Also it is overheating, not quickly, it just doesn't seem to plateau off at around 80-90 degrees like my 1700 does. This I imagine would indicate a crook thermostat??? Any ideas/advice please!

And guess what I found when I took the wheels off??? Adjustable Koni shocks in the rear (yellows) and almost certain Koni inserts in the front end. It has a clicking/clunking noise when turning left, (no its not a CV) so I suspect a tie rod end has had enough so I'll get on to that... again, any ideas or advice?

Has a reasonable interior except for a rough drivers seat (Recaro style) and the passengers side internal doorhandle is not working... any ideas? Also drivers side external door lock isn't working, but you can lock it from inside. Once again, any ideas?

So yeah, all in all it owes me $280 NZD including all the bits I've bought, so not a bad deal at all, considering all the problems are mere trivialities really. Easy fixes, just need to find the bits!

On the subject of parts though... if anyone in NZ has a decent 2nd hand tie rod end or thermostat, and the boot latch "hook" thing that is mounted on the hatch please drop me a PM or email me! I'd be especially keen to get hold of the latch piece, as the hatch is currently not closing!

Cheers fellas,

Richard
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.... and what about that plate!!! PB3333.... lovely coincidence dontcha think?

Also I'll be selling it at the end of summer more than likely, do we think $800 or near offer is a reasonable price to ask?
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks damn tidy for $200! For that much money I'd have expected a car that was barely running, and had failed its last WOF inspection. Basically a parts car!

About the temperature, it seems there may be two different temperature fan switches available, or they all vary or something. My engine fan used to cut in at about 85 and turn on and off and on and off, keeping the temperature around half way. A mechanic thought it was faulty and replaced it with another, which allows the temp to get over 90 before the fan starts.

Are you sure the clunking when you're turning isn't the strut pan bearings? Does it happen while you turn the steering wheel? I think failing strut pan bearings cause the suspension spring to be twisted as the wheels steer, and each time it tightens up a bit it slips back to its normal position, making the clunk. It's starting to happen on my car, and I've been advised to try spraying CRC into the bearings. Wink
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sudman, damned good buy!
The door lock has a little arm retained by a circlipand returned by a spring. The circlip could have come off or the link between this arm and the lock mechanism which just snaps onto little ball pins. Either way the door card off will reveal the problem. The return spring for both the lock and the one on the mechanism are both prone to breaking with age. The one on the lock can be rebent to work but the one on the mechanism is a trowaway generally( these are L and R handed) .Italian Autos in Auckland have new.
If a tierod end is clunking I would expect it to do so turning lock to lock when stationary as this would load and unload it.
If you still have any of the original Sud engine bits then the two piece thermostat housing is brilliant as you can get the replacement thermostat at half the price or less than the one piece.
Personally I would remove the rad for a thorough flushing as they are prone to sludging below the bottom pipe especially if the coolant shows brown.
Regards Eddie
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! The strut pan bearings, I had forgotten about those completely! I'll try CRC'ing them.... in place I take it? I cbf taking the strut out as its really gonna just be a daily driver. Yes it does clunk when turning the steering wheel.

Coolant is flowing nice and clean so I think it's fine. It just had no antifreeze in it when I got it, so I changed it. Just gotta make the fan work... maybe I'll just wire it up to a switch somewhere.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah! The strut pan bearings, I had forgotten about those completely! I'll try CRC'ing them.... in place I take it?

I assume so. I certainly don't stand a chance of removing them.. and if I did, I'd probably pay the $140 each for new ones, rather than go to all that effort just to put dodgy old ones back in.
I just tried drenching my strut pan bearings with WD40, and it only worked on one side. The passenger side's still noisy and I can see the joint jerking as I pull the tyre around slowly.
Idea Maybe it'll improve with some driving. Cool
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben ,I'm sure that Italian Autos quoted around $65 ea just recently. Thats for the sealed ones as used in the S2. Richard may need the needle roller type of the S1 although he may have the later srut as I'm not sure if the Koni inserts will fit the earlier strut.
Regards Eddie
Ravi - not logged in

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben - is it another sign that the strut pan bearings are worn when you turn a tight corner, the car wants to drift in the same direction as that corner?...

My steering clunks a bit and doesn't feel as precise as it ought to - certainly nowhere near my mate's sud.

Strut pan bearings? Tie rod ends? I'm not much good at diagnosing the steering parts of Alfas...

Cheers

R
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ben - is it another sign that the strut pan bearings are worn when you turn a tight corner, the car wants to drift in the same direction as that corner?...

I think it's a sign if when you return the steering wheel to its centre position after a tight corner, the car doesn't go quite straight and keeps drifting in the direction of the corner you've just finished turning. I've never experienced that, but I remember reading/hearing it somewhere.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the drifting thing. Going to sort it out this weekend, also fit a 2nd hand thermostat etc. and other various bits.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That plate is brilliant!!! Do you have the option in NZ to customize your registration number, or was this 100% coincidence?
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have the option.... but, as the car I bought was an English used import brought in during 1990, the plate is pure coincidence!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum