Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

CV Boot Replacement

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Anyone got an easy way to replace the CV boot (wheel side), or do you have to try to get the nut off the axle etc.? Thanks.
Regards,
John
sleeping33
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal split cv boot.Very Happy

The boot has a cut in the side so it can be slipped round the drive shaft.
Then you glue the split shut.

Comes in a kit from the motorfactors.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?
Is it reliable or does it soon break at the join where you glued it?
I had my outer CV boots done in November, and then the other week one of them split again when I went to a track day. Must have been from the centrifugal forces of going over 180kph (on the track, not late at night on the way back to my motel). So it was back to the Fiat Uno courtesy car while the boot was changed again. I reckon I could handle fitting a universal split boot and save myself money.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try what I have done a number of times in the past - that is to thoroughly clean up the sides of the split with some spirit on a cotton bud, whilst pinching the sides and then superglue it together. Have done it twice now on different cars and it has worked a treat. I even got a sachet of hub grease and a syringe and injected the grease into the hub through the split before sealing it up. Worked a treat - MOT man was happy - both have lasted years. I was once told superglue was originally developed for use on rubber and it certainly works on the Alfa 33 type fitted to my car!

All started because I couldn't get the hub nut off the front and the previous owner had rounded it off slightly - it's still there as well.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: bit of trivia Reply with quote

Superglue was actually originally developed for sticking skin together - save time spent doing stiches on the battlefield.
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: bit of trivia Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
Superglue was actually originally developed for sticking skin together - save time spent doing stiches on the battlefield.

But doesn't it contain cyanide? Confused
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Are you sure about that - was that in the Lancet or is that urban myth. I suppose if it does have cyanide as Paddy suggest maybe one could give it to the enemy wounded - he he! There are plenty of stories about people sticking their hands together with tubes breaking but I can't imagine medics on the battlefield running around with tubes of superglue.

Anyway, huge appologies if you are right and perhaps I should be less suspicious of these things.

By the way how is Frome. It seems there are a few 33 owners in the Frome, Chedder, Bristol, Clevedon, Weston area. A friend of mine knows the person who owns the Alfa garage in Cheddar that has closed recently. They were suggesting possibly meeting somewhere to share stories and tips - maybe I will list it on the activities page and see if there is any response.
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked it up quickly, as it is quite interesting stuff! Superglues are based on what are called cyanoacrylates, which is chemically very similar to Cyanide, but no where near as toxic.

Also found this interesting quote.

"Another interesting application is the use of cyanoacrylate to close wounds in place of stitches. Researchers found that by changing the type of alcohol in super glue, from ethyl or methyl alcohol to butyl or octyl, the compound becomes less toxic to tissue. With further research, the practice may become more widespread and could eventually replace the need for stitching up lacerations."

Basic description:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm

Wink
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

im wrong

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/business/a/superglue.htm
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the bit about mistaking the packagings, having mistaken ear drops for eye drops recently (very painful), and, once only, using embrocation for piles. Definitely not recommended.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: