Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

out of petrol

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moorhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: out of petrol Reply with quote

hi , ive ran out of petrol on my 15ti sud . the problem is i can't seem seem to get the petrol back up to the engine . even a prime of petrol to the engine does,nt seem to work . any ideas ? moorhead. Crying or Very sad
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how fule pipes go in Sud, but if you can fill it up from carb pipes that go to pump and then to tank you might have luck.

Except that you can try with filling tank all way up, and parking od very steep hill?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the suggestion of manually filling the float chamber with fuel might do the trick. The fuel has to be sucked through the fuel lines, which can only really be achieved by letting the engine turn over (preferably by itself), as it is the vacuum in the combustion chamber that draws the fuel in. Correct?
moorhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: out of petrol Reply with quote

[yes guy's thanks for the info , most of what you said ive allready done. it may because i fitted the wrong gauge petrol pipe. could make the vacuum faulty. i will try a new one . CHEERS MOORHEAD>quote="tvatavuk"]Don't know how fule pipes go in Sud, but if you can fill it up from carb pipes that go to pump and then to tank you might have luck.

Except that you can try with filling tank all way up, and parking od very steep hill?[/quote]
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have problem with tasting fuel gases, you could remove pipe that goes from pump to tank, and start suction action.

Problem is that fuel is acctualy driven into pump by cohesion? intermolecular force inside liquid and when you run out of petrol gas enter into tube and there is no chain of fuel molecules that pull each other.

So you're left with choices of filling it up all the way, or sucking you lounges out by sucking it up. AFAIK Petrol gases can cause cancer.

If it was I.E. fuel pump you would be left with a choice that it is broken because of overheating(it uses fuel to cool itself), but never heard of mechanic pump failing because of that.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like a pump problem to me. Some of our 33s sit for months and will still fire up eventually by turning over and vigorous use of the accel. pump jets.
Eddie
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like a pump problem to me. Some of our 33s sit for months and will still fire up eventually by turning over and vigorous use of the accel. pump jets. Dis connect the supply line to the carbs and with the end in a suitable container, have some body turn the motor over. That should tell you about the pump. If you are still in doubt about the suction side then run a hose from that side to a can of petrol.
Eddie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
sound like pump problem or fuel lines
you could try a little fuel in made up tank in engine bay take of fuel pipe from main tank to pump conect your pipe from tank /chamber ad a little fuel in tank/ chamber and see if this is sucked through pump i had similar problem on my 1.5ti and it was a hole in fuel line and was sucking in air
good luck
dave
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum