Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 16v won't start

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: 1.7 16v won't start Reply with quote

I finished with assembly of my new 1.7 16v 2 days ago but still haven't managed to start it up.

Ready for some trivia: spark plugs new and working as charm, spark plug cables new and working, injectors cleaned and also working. All cables are plugged in correctly because I have working 1.7 16v car parked next to mine to compare. I have changed belts and tensioners but the phase should be all right, no weird sounds from engine and it turns normally.

I did a self diagnosis test on computer and it returns 0 faults. I even changed the goddamn bosch motronic ECU with another one but still nothing.

I haven't put the exhaust manifold on yet (I think the engine should start with or without it). I can see some fire flames coming out occasionally from all four exhaust holes on cylinder heads. Is that normal? As far as I can tell, it's an indication that the fuel and spark is present in chamber but it could also mean that there is something terribly wrong with timing of ignition.

Please help...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the exhaust have Lamba probe that acts as input for the engine mixture? Could this be the reason why the car isn't starting?
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but I belive it should start without lambda probe connected to the computer.

I will try it anyway... what else can I do....
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

have you installed correctly the spark plug leads? check if firing order is correct.

Just an idea.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 16v won't start Reply with quote

Pipster wrote:
All cables are plugged in correctly because I have a working 1.7 16v car parked next to mine to compare.

Today I took out spark plugs and cleaned them. Took me 1,5 hour, not too shaby for first time. Today I lost my 16v boxer out/in plugs virginity Very Happy I'll try to start the car again this afternoon when I return from work.

Another idea is to fill the battery because at the moment I'm trying to start her with jump start cables connected to another car. Engine turns normaly but car alarm (which is not connected to the engine in any way, only sensors and a loud horn) is lighting blinkers so I suspect the ECU is having hard time with voltage.

But on the other hand, when we initially drove the donor car to garage we started it with cables and it fired up right away.
Deano
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that the rotor arm is pointing to number 1 spark plug lead when the engine is at top dead centre (TDC). There is a marker on the fly wheel to help, or you can remove Number 1 spark plug and shove a screw driver up the hole, and then rotate the engine BY HAND until you feel the piston at the top of it's travel. If any adjustment is needed then rotate the distriutor so that the rotor arm is pointing to number 1 cylinder when the engine is at TDC.
Rotating the distributor does NOT effect the timing because the timing is controlled by the ECU, however, the orientation of the distributor obviously needs to be correct.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing has been changed since we took the engine out of old car on which the engine ran just fine.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has the petrol been sitting as it may well be stuffed. If it's been sat for over six months drain the tank, refill then try again.

Stick some cold start spray down the air inlet pipe and see if this gets a response.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far the only idea the guy at the workshop had was that cam belt somehow managed to slip for a tooth or soo, maybe even on both heads. I will have that checked out by monday afternoon and after that I am completley out of ideas.

The only things, changed on engine, are cambelts, waterpump, spark plugs and HT leads and injectors which were cleaned and then mountend back on.

Anyway, as the car is now in the official AR workshop the only way it's comming out of there is by means of self propulsion, no matter how much costs me.

Thanks to Laki I'm sticking to this project. Every time when I'm feeling down and depressed because of the car, he lets me drive his 16v boxer and presto - I'm suddenly happy and can't wait to see my car again. Very Happy
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the plug lead positions with another car is not valid, as the distibutor could have been fitted in a different position in either car.

Have you checked the flywheel sensor? - one of the Le Mans teams took some hours to diagnose this problem last weekend!
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess what guys

on the road again,
on the road again....

dumbass who changed the cam belts turned the camshafts for 180°. Only thing on which I decided to call in expert help. Never again! From now on only I tuch my baby.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: