Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

starting problems,,,,,,HELP!!!!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: starting problems,,,,,,HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

I am having problems with starting my 1994 16v cloverleaf,,,its got a scorpian alarm and immobilser fitted which operates the central locking when i try and lock the car using the key fob the door locks keep going up and down repeatedly and i have to keep trying to get it to lock properly,(usually when ive opened and closed the drivers door a few times) when you come to start it again it won't start off the key all the lights come on but it wont turn over but it will go off a bump start Confused the starter motor works fine ive checked the alternator/battery and its running at 12 without any electrics on and 11 when i turn everything on,this only happens on short trips when i leave the car overnight or at work all day it starts fine,,any help would be great as im limited to where i can go unless there is a slope i can push it off Sad ,,,,,,thanks matt
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt.
I had the same problem with my alarm, ie it wouldn't start even though the alarm wasn't going off Confused The immobiliser works by cutting the power to the starter motor live feed, hence you can bump start it but it wont go off the key. The problem isn't with the cars electrics( even though that's the first place to look with an alfa!!) but with the alarm. Mine too was an intermittant fault so i put the wiring back to standard which did the job until i got a new alarm. Unless your alarm is under guarantee or you're an electrical genius(there's loads of PCB's, chips, wires in there) invest in a new one
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Check your starter motor solenoid coil voltage. I had the same problem with my car's imobiliser system, I used to have to bump start it on my own - not easy Exclamation I measured the voltage at the coil of the starter motor and found it was only around 8v which is on the limit for engaging the motor. There was a full 12v at the ignition switch so I guess there's a relay or something in the imobiliser which has gone high resistance reducing the voltage at the starter motor. I bypassed the imobiliser circuit as I couldn't get hold of any schematics for it and it starts every time now. Saves a lot of pushing and jumping into a moving car antics in the supermarket car park Exclamation
matt33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replys,,,found a garage that bypassed the immobilser for me but kept the central locking and the alarm working off the key fob for me,,,everything works fine now,,,,until the next thing Confused ,,,,,many thanks
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
It might be worth giving your insurance company a bell to let them know you have no immobiliser. If your pride and joy was to be nicked, they could refuse to pay out!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: