Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Lower a P4 or not - which springs?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Lower a P4 or not - which springs? Reply with quote

hi folks,

im about to rebuild a P4 and have a few donor cars available, one is a 1.7 ie with a near new lowering kit. im wondering if these springs and/ or dampers are compatible with the P4? if not where might i get a kit for it?and whats a good / max drop from experience preferably. i love a proper drop but need it to be driveable on the roads
- also i do quite like the standard tail high nose down stance of the P4 - like a prowling gundog thats caught a scent - i was wondering if this stance is lost does the handling change dramatically? they obviously set it up that way for a reason? any help appreciated thanks

ps lots of spares in north west for series 3 inc wagon, but will be towing 2 shells away by weds so be quick...
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm after a RHS wing mirror, not electric but with the old joystick control from the inside. Nero black colour. Anything like that lying around?

cheers,

Tim
Admin not logged on

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Springs Reply with quote

Hi

You can no longer get P4 front springs, so do not chuck the old ones away. I have not managed to find any aftermarket ones for sale for the P4.

All the best

Keith
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, thanks keith - is this the case with many P4 parts now as they are so rare and coming of age?

think ill leave it std for now - im sure it will still outcorner me!

^^ also :

yes i have mirrors but i think they are in ok but not in particularly good condition - ie prob need alloy mounts repainting and the {unobtainable} cables have seized in most as usual. not forgetting left hand drive and right hand drive have different glass angles - fortunately i have one lhd mirror off the RHS right of a series 3, joystick one - ill have a look at the cables for you and see.

many other parts still available though if anyone else needs bits - remember i only want a little cash for certain bits - lots of the stuff is free if you can collect - id rather they were put to use by other 33' ers - ill put an ad in the forsale bit once i know whats left...cheers
Admin no logged on

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, if you have some spare P4 springs I would like them.

Some P4 parts are no longer available. Viscous coupling mounts and the rear gearbox mount for example.

All the best

Keith
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i see - hopefully i dont need them, not sure yet as ive not done the full running gear asessment (it was very cheap with just 70 k miles but suspected dropped valve + rusted out rear lights panel). if i get another p4 for spares (which sounds like a good idea) ill save you the springs, id like to keep the std bits off mine in the loft though if i uprate anything. the fuel tank off mine looks a bit rusty on the bottom, but i may weld in some new metal if i cant find a good one.

must say i hope its worth the effort to restore this funky little car, i'm really looking forward to driving it, wanted one for five years and ive never driven a 4wd car, cant wait!

nearly forgot, if you are also keith of the many aprilias - do you need any spares for the fleet? i have a bunch of parts from a 91 af1 extrema (import - first upside down forks/ banana arm model) and a 91 futura, a rotax 122 motor in bits , very good 123 cylinder, 2002 v low miles shock and some other bits - anything you need from that lot?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxertricks wrote:
nearly forgot, if you are also keith of the many aprilias - do you need any spares for the fleet? i have a bunch of parts from a 91 af1 extrema (import - first upside down forks/ banana arm model) and a 91 futura, a rotax 122 motor in bits , very good 123 cylinder, 2002 v low miles shock and some other bits - anything you need from that lot?

Yep, that is me. Currently got an early RS125, an AF1 Sintesi and 3 early 1987 model AF1s (plus the remains of 2 more in pieces, plus another which may get broken for spares, but as the chassis number is only 3 apart from one that will be back together this one might be saved).

Could be interested in the bits. Tend to buy stuff to keep just in case. How much do you want?

All the best

Keith
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha suspected as much!

i do like those early twin light af1's, i had a af1 50cc when i was 16 - went like stink with a polini kit on so it did! 80mph from what was legally a moped hoho; many moons later i had an idea to put a ktm 500cc 2 stroke LC single (right side chain run) in a 125 af1 frame, but chose a later bike for the upside down forks etc - i got the donor bikes but my mate who wanted the bike building lost interest due to getting a honda, so i never got round to it.

i still have at least a complete bike worth of spares; ill make a list of my remaining bits and email it over to you if you like - i agree prob a good idea to keep some spares in, just like it is for a 33...were not too far away either if youre in stafford, let me know if theres anything specific youd like saving, cheers
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity. By lowering the car will result in more negative camber on the front and rear remains unchanged. does that affect the handling of the car? My 33 seems rather tail happy and was wondering could it be due to that.
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

it does affect things yes but mostly for the better, neg camber is not desirable at the rear, but a bit of it is good at the front for good turn-in etc, racing cars have lots at the front but it knackers tyres fast on the road.
sadly all 2wd 33's are tail happy due to the weight distribution. the best fix is really to get a P4 im lead to believe (hence i got one, not driven it yet tho, still building it up). that said i only noticed it in the wet on my old one though, it was pretty scary if driven with any speed when it was wet but the rest of the time i forgot the back of the car was there and just drove the front end everywhere, never really unstuck unless i lifted off to make it.

i think as far as my P4 goes, it looks like the 2wd lowering kit will go on so i will try it if so, especially as im adding weight to the nose of it - might help balance it out a bit hopefully...
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there I disagree, I think shimming for a touch of neg on the rear could be beneficial. Certainly if I was tracking the car I would go that way.
regards Eddie
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought of that direction but lack of experience in it. Anymore contributions from members would be appreciated.
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yes id agree eddie, a v small amount on rear if its going to see track type use.

still wondering if anyone has lowered a P4 successfully and what they used to do it? surely someone out there has?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxertricks wrote:
i do like those early twin light af1's, i had a af1 50cc when i was 16 - went like stink with a polini kit on so it did! 80mph from what was legally a moped hoho; many moons later i had an idea to put a ktm 500cc 2 stroke LC single (right side chain run) in a 125 af1 frame, but chose a later bike for the upside down forks etc - i got the donor bikes but my mate who wanted the bike building lost interest due to getting a honda, so i never got round to it.

Be more tempted to use a Rotax engine from an Aprilia Tuareg. Or for an easy upgrade use the Rotax 257 250cc 2 stroke single engine. Slots straight in with all the engine mounts linign up.

To be honest I tend to like small revvy 2 strokes because you can rev the knackers out of them without actually going that quickly (~100mph true top speed, rather more indicated) and they like revving. With 4 strokes I tend to like something with a bit more flexibility. The Bandit has been played with a bit, and I managed to get 166.2mph out of it a couple of weeks ago (top speed runs on Woodbridge airfield runway), which was a struggle on an unfaired bike. Quickest bike that day managed 222mph (turbocharged 'busa).

boxertricks wrote:
were not too far away either if youre in stafford, let me know if theres anything specific youd like saving, cheers

Whereabouts are you based?

Here are some of the bikes we have:-

All the best

Keith
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxertricks wrote:
hi yes id agree eddie, a v small amount on rear if its going to see track type use.

still wondering if anyone has lowered a P4 successfully and what they used to do it? surely someone out there has?

paul has my first p4 and at some point between me owning it and paul getting it, it was lowered. from what i gather it wasnt done very well and caused some problems.

if you find a suspention place they can make up a pair of spring for not a lot of cash. it's quite a lot of money for a 33 but i know of people who had had springs made up for around £90.
you get to choose the spring rates and lengeth etc so you get exactly the right springs made up.
shorter stroke dampers that are a little stiffer (or adjustable) would be ideal with shorter stiffer springs.

i'll hunt round my contacts book and try and find out who made the springs for my friends.

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum