Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Loosening drive-shaft securing nut

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Loosening drive-shaft securing nut Reply with quote

Hi there,

just coming back from the workshop after 2 hours of unsuccesful attempts to loosen the drive shaft securing nuts.

Few Questions:

My standard 36 mm nut doesnt seem to be the proper tool , as I only manage to reach the first few mm of the securing nut, which doesnt give a proper seat if you want to apply brutal force. So what would be the tool of choice to do the job?

What is the best strategy to block the drive train from turning when you want to loosen the nut? I finally left the wheel on at the side where I want to loosen the nut and work with the tool through the wheel hub hole. Thus at least the drive train doesnt turn. All other attempts with putting it in gear and blocking the drive train with the wheel on the other side on the ground didnt give anough resistance.

Any other tips are welcome as well, of course.

Best Regards

Patrick
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also have in mind to take out the drive shafts in order to replace all 4 cv boots.

Actually it is a 36 mm hub nut which should be undone with a wrench tool and not with a nut. The wheel hub is somehow conical and that is why the nut cannot fully wrap around the hub nut.

However I have acquired an indented wrench and not the standard straight one which wraps the hub nut good enough to undo it.

I think you should try to find such wrench and also extend it with a kind of pipe in order to multiply the torque Wink it should do the trick

Finally the hub nut is also secured with the help of loctite for threads; thats why it is a tough job.

Hope this helps

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a 2 metre long pole a few years ago and bent the tracking before undoing the bloody thing once upon a time. Sad
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this once by having to find a knuckle breaker bar, which I put a 8ft scaffold bar over the end of, I put a screwdriver through the brake caliper opening into the brake disc vents to stop the disk rotating, the other wheel on the ground and the car in gear, some heat to the nut, with some Plusgas in the appropriate area, a large lump hammering of the end of the drive shaft to try and break the tension between the threads and with someone sitting in the car with their foot on the break pedal, I walked up the scaffold pole almost the the end, bouncing slowly as I went! Bearing in mind I am 95Kg's at 2.7m from the point of turning and with the dinamic force of that 95 kilo's bouncing up and down I can only wonder that some part of the car or bar did not give up first. The hub nut did eventually let go with a noise that you couldn't tell if it was the nut letting go or some part of the car - but I spun the nut off and all was well.
tinworm
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is a lot of torque being exerted! The only thing is, if I was doing that with a lump of metal it would be a loud noise and a stripped thread....on the c.v. joint due to having a reverse thread Shocked
One of the better tools I have bought is an electric 'rattle gun'. Ideal for undoing alternator drive retaining nuts. If you have ever tried to undo one without, it's hopeless Sad
Not sure what that the driveshaft nut is torqued to, but I would think (after reading this thread) that you would need a very healthy air supply along with an equally very healthy rattler! AND,.... if someone has applied the good 'ol Loctite thread lock.... Twisted Evil multiplied by the large sized nut, multiplied by a factor of four by using 'super stud lock' it's hello big red wrench Embarassed Somehow, Edward, I would suspect all of the above were used on your 33?
Cheers.
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 QV
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The workshop manual ndicates 220 N torque setting. I think I should ask the neighbour to pull together the wrench Laughing

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: