Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Performance

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan a
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Performance Reply with quote

Im wanting to improve the performance of my 1.7qv 8v and dont really know where to sart. I love the alfa bt want more speed, acceleration...
i just want to know which mods are best for the price and what mods get the most hp??
ill worry bout handling (as thats already pretty gud) and brakes later.

also i drive up to the mountains (snowboarding, the alfa actually goes really hard - got up there in record time) so my panel filter gets really dirty. whats the best way to clean it...can i wash it??

Thanks
alan
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alan,

Is this a fuel injected car, or carbs?

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go the wrong way around. First cncentrate on braking, what good is going fast if you cann't stop? First do the brakes hand hanling, think abut the power later.

Best value for money is buying a 16V since you then also upgrade the brakes (vented discs) and handling (strut bar).
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about brake mods, has anybody here ever modified the pedals on the 33 for heel and toe braking? Confused
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
i had a 1.5ti series 2 33 and the owner who had it before me had added a plate to the back of the throttle pedal. it stuck out of the left from about half way down the pedal to the bottom of the pedal and a bit beyond.

it made it very easy to reach the pedal with my right foot while i was braking.
i never really looked that close at the way it was done but i think it was just a bit of metal welded on the back of the existing pedal.

i would defo do the brakes and suspension BEFORE i did many power mods. the brakes on the 33 are rubbish anyway. the last thing you want to do it slap in loads more power and leave the standard 8v brakes on it Shocked

16v engine is the fastest way to more power. then chip that, cone filter, exhaust and you will be around 150hp.
skim the heads a bit and get the chip mapped for higher revs and you could get more power out of it.

or dump the air flow meter and just use the throttle bodies and some stand alone ecu. you would get even more power out of it then.
but the more mods the more money.

L.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a carbureted 1.7, you should make sure the motor's working 100% e.g. get carburetors tuned and balanced, check distributor rotor/cap, spark plugs, make sure throttles open fully when accelerator is depressed etc. K&N might make a replacement panel filter you could buy and just wash each time it gets dirty.

After that you probably have to muck around with new racier camshafts (stock ones are likely to be worn anyway), rejetting the carbs and yucky things like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
a my 8v is carbureted.
if i wash the original anel filter will that ruin it?? dont really want to buy a panel filter as i want to get a cold air intake later.
if i was to use bigger calipers off a later model alfa would that be sufficient??

thanks alan
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found even just upgraded discs, pads and braided hoses did the trick on my old 16v.

L.
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=12522

My post on Alfa BB, enjoy!
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 33 uses ATE booster pump, 16v calipers, braided hoses and Tarox G88 rotor and pads. Never did need more brakes than the current set up.
alan a
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the disks and calipers from a 16 valve fit directly on an 8v???
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan a wrote:
would the disks and calipers from a 16 valve fit directly on an 8v???

Hi

yes as thats whats on my s2,16v calipers with tarox disks fast road pads and braided hoses,stops quite well Wink
regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
hi
a my 8v is carbureted.
if i wash the original anel filter will that ruin it?? dont really want to buy a panel filter as i want to get a cold air intake later.
if i was to use bigger calipers off a later model alfa would that be sufficient??

thanks alan

By 'anel' filter I presume you mean air filter? I wouldn't was the standard paper air filter - it will probably get all soggy?? Standard replacement filters are probably quite cheap. What kind of cold air system do you want to use? K&N 57i?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum