Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Brakes etc

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Brakes etc Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am looking for some help to find suppliers of some parts for my car. Some of you will know that my Sprint has the engine/suspension from a 1990 16V, including the ventilated disc brakes. The rear is still Series 1 33 (drums). I want to find rear discs. I know they were fitted to a few front wheel drive Series 3 cars but only a few P4's came here with them. I will need to get the hubs, backplate/caliper mounts, handbrake components as well as the calipers and discs - maybe the stub axle as well if it is different.

I would also like to upgrade the front brakes. I know I can adapt a local disc and caliper but would prefer to use something from the Alfa parts bin if I can. My discs are 239 dia. 4 wheel bolt 284 dia discs with offset dimensions not too different were fitted to the following cars (not available in Australia): 155-2.5i V6 92-97, 155-2.0i 16VTS 95-97, 145/146 1.8i 16VTS 97-00, 145/146 2.0i 16VTS 95-00. If anyone has access to any of these, I have the critical dimensions for my car for comparison, to see if there is a bolt-on fit.

Any information on a limited slip differential, either made for the 33 16V, or able to be adapted from another make/model, would also be appreciated.

If I can confirm the suitability of any of these, the next step is to find a car wrecker (breaker/recycler or whatever the local name is) and make contact with him.

Thanks & regards
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

About the rear axle, I 'd like to add a point. The s3 rear axles had the upper part of the suspension been held from the front portion of the wheel arch in contrast to the previous models (s1 & s2) which the suspension os held from the rear part.

This will probably make a difference fitting the s3 axle to the Sprint.

Good luck,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanassis

Thanks, I know about that. I'm hoping that the rear caliper mounts on a separate backplate that replaces the drum backplate and will go on the existing (Series 1) axle.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1983 Alfasud Sprint with 33 16V front disc brakes and a 33 type 2 rear axle. I also have a series 3 33 16V AND an extra axle. One from a 33 series 3 with ABS (so rear disc brakes on a front wheel driven car) and I also have some P4 rear axles..... al that is missing is time to take the necesarry measurements...

I hope next weekend I will find some time for this.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Much appreciated. Where are you (city/country). Would you be able to take some photographs and email them to me, particularly of the rear caliper and mounting?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in The Netherlands.

When I have the time I will take my camera and shoot some pictures!
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
Jamesd (guesting)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Rear Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Ken,
I have a P4 in Brisbane if you need to have a sticky (no you may not have my brakes). I don't think the rear discs do much for the braking, but the hand brake is less effective and the discs are more expensive than drums.
Rgds
James.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all agree that discs are better looking than drums?

For me that was more than enough reason to want to get rid of the drums.

The discs don't bolt straight on the backplates for the drums, you will need backplates of a non P4 Alfa 33 with rear disc brakes.... or make them yourselves. In The Netherlands a racer is producing the plates himself. 150 euro's I think.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Rear Disc Brakes Reply with quote

James

Having a look at a P4 would be a great help. The hub and axle will be different of course but I would expect everything else to be the same with respect to the brakes. As you posted as a guest, I can't email you. If you wouldn't mind emailing me, we can set up contact.

Many thanks
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some years ago I was told that the assembly used on the 33 was shared with the Uno Turbo. Although not available in Aus it might be worth a bit more checking.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum