Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

clutch pedal squeaks...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: clutch pedal squeaks... Reply with quote

Dear Alfistas,
It has been sometime now that whenever I press and depress the clutch pedal a squeak and grinding sound it is being generated. Confused

The WD40 trick worked for a day or two and white-grease for 3 to 4 days.

It seems that something needs either to be changed or greased well!!!

Does anyone knows what it is happening under there??? Shocked

Thanks in advance... Exclamation
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My Alfa also used to do such annoying squeak. Tried everything, putting loads of grease didn't make much difference. Changed the pin (which was pretty worn) cured the squeak for a couple of weeks.

What makes this noise is the fork of the clutch master cylinder which connects to the pedal. From circular it becomes oval and the pin "jumps" when the pedal is pressed. As a last chance I turned the clutch cylinder fork 180 degrees in order to avoid the worn part of the circle and at the same time replaced the pin again with a new one.

This was done in the summer and no squeaks so far till today.

If this problem appears again then I 'll have to replace the clutch master cylinder with a new one. The clutch pedal is made of steel which does not wear out easily but if you want to replace it then unfortunately it is out of production... so replacing the clutch cylinder is one way road.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gritsop for your answer,

The thing is that recently I managed to get my head under the steering wheel rack and what I found out was that there is a plastic housing that covers the little metal 'beam' that works in and out the clutch pump inside the firewall when you press the pedal.

As this thing has come off and slips between the pedal and the entry point of the clutch's beam, the plastic gets all squeezed and probably makes that noise.

Is that plastic thing of any use??? It doesn't seem to retain any lubricant or such a thing.

Thanks Wink
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Plastic cover? mine does not have such thing only a rubber boot covering the beam. Is a photo available to visualise things?

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
truepiece
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, (first post here after a long time of just watching Embarassed)

This plastic cover doesn't exist in my 33, too.
Unless you are refering to the ruber boot gritsop mentioned.

I had the same problem. The pin was almost cut off Shocked.
Replaced the pin, but the "oval shape" exists both on pedal and fork. This results in an annoying play when pressing the clutch pedal. I'm planing to close entirely the "oval" holes using electric winding and make new circular ones with a drill (On the very same spot of course Very Happy).

I can easily remove the clutch pedal.
How can I remove the fork?
Do I have to drain the pump first?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

Yes I think we are talking about the same thing ... I just didn't put it right...

Anyway after diving under the wheel over the weekend I could finally see the fork of the clutch beam and the pin that connects it to the clutch pedal ...

What I did was to stuck a screwdriver inside the outer side of the pin and tried to 'bend' out the pin to more or less straitghen it out... I don't know what I did to it but after this and some WD40 the clutch has quiten down ... until further notice I pressume ...

I addition I would like to refer to another squeak (I hope I am not to boring) ...

Now in winter one of the belts at the front of the car makes a periodic squeak until it gets all warmed up. As I changed the water pump last June and the belts over a year ago with no problems then, it appears to be that this noise is connected to the water pump job my mechanic claims that this type of belt he is using doens't sit perfectly inside the groove of the water pump 'disk'...

Any other suggestions...

Thanks!!! Rolling Eyes

By the way Gritsop unfortunatelly I don't have a digital camera and my mobile phone has a very poor quality one ... so I cannot be much of help to this part right now... sometime in the future maybe though!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the squeak comes from the water pump-altenator belt. This happens when the teeth of the belt are worn out.

However, when the temperature is pretty low, my belt squeaks too (rarely), just for one time (lasting less than 1/2 sec) when starting the engine.
As I understood though, your belt squeaks for a long time.

question: Why your mechanic installed this type of belt, although he knew that it doesn't fit perfectly?
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My alternator belt used to squeak for a few seconds the first time the revs reached high enough for the alternator to begin working when I started the car from cold.
I replaced the belt with a new one and tensioned it well and now there's no noise. When I bent the old belt backwards I could see it was perished because it would start to crack between the teeth. Shocked
Perhaps some sticky 'belt grip' spray from an auto parts shop would help if you can't find the correct belt.
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all ...

Regarding my 'belts' they already got about 20000 Kms on them and as far as I know they last for up to 40000 Kms??? Shocked

Anyway in about 7000 Kms the car needs servising so I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the belts as well ...

In addtion to my clutch squeak the update is that if you twist the pin a bit and use WD40 the squeak goes away at least for a week now.

About WD40 (no I am not a promoter) I 've seen the other day on motors-tv people in the states running Paris-Dakar like races using WD40 to protect the paintjob of their cars from the sun... (search me!!!)

Thanks again... Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: